Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

PlanetGazer

What's wrong with my red dot finder?

The question should be what's wrong with me, rather! ... Every time I point at an object with my red dot finder, I find the object to be on the top left corner from where it should be. I tried to play with the adjustments circles on the sides of the dot finder but didn't find a difference.  

I'm still a beginner so take it easy when you read the question :D 

Thanks

I'm guessing it's not aligned yet. are you saying when you centre an object, initially at low power, and then adjust the circles on the red dot finder, it makes no difference? If so there is a big problem. If you centre your target in the eyepiece at low power, then adjust the finder to centre the object, it should be there. The only thing to watch is that it doesn't take you ages to centre it in the finder as the object will have drifted. Try to do it reasonably quickly. Can your finder be adjusted by hand or does it need an Allen key like one that came with one of my scope, and subsequently was stuck in the box marked 'Bits'

What finder have you? If you don't mind me asking

Barry

• Like 1

PlanetGazer.......Hi. During the Day lokk through your widest eyepiece and focus on anything in the distance. Were talking Miles away, Not a tree at the bottom of your garden. Once you have found a target, lock the telescope into position. Re-check the telescope is still on target. Now its time to align the finder scope / red dot. Using the adjusters, align the finder to the same target in the distance. When both the telescope and the finder are both on target, your system is now ready for use. At night now, when you find something with the red-dot finder, you should see the same through the eyepiece. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Sounds like it just needs further alignment of finder and scope.

However there may not be sufficent adjustment possible without addin a shim to the base at one end or the other. Also the base may need to moved to get the whole lot into a better position to perform the fine adjustment.

Nothing is ever easy.

Find something a long way off, as in 2 miles. Anything close could still result in misalignment caused by parallax.

Don't do it using a star or planet, they tend to move so by the time you adjust the finder the scope is pointed elsewhere, and you go through it all again. (Suppose might be OK on Polaris??)

Which telescope and red dot finder is it PlanetGazer? :)

I'd try all of the above first, go carefully & you may well get there.

If you run out of adjustment on the RDF, you could try tweaking the finder mount where it attaches to the telescope tube, or maybe a shim under either end of the RDF where it fits into the shoe. This will gain you more side to side or up down movement.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Check that the little raised hump where the actual led sits hasn't been pushed in... I had one that had been sent out like it and it took me ages to realise what was wrong. It should sit up about 3 or 4 mm

What finder have you? If you don't mind me asking

Barry

oh not at all! I'm not sure what brand it is, but it's the one that came with the Skywatcher 130M. 

10682.jpg.

I think it works fine, it's just I was impatient when I was suing it that night. You have to rotate the adjustments circles a lot to notice the difference. 

Just out of curiosity, does collimation of the telescope affect it?

oh not at all! I'm not sure what brand it is, but it's the one that came with the Skywatcher 130M. 

10682.jpg.

I think it works fine, it's just I was impatient when I was suing it that night. You have to rotate the adjustments circles a lot to notice the difference. 

Just out of curiosity, does collimation of the telescope affect it?

When I was using it**

Thank you very much for the help, I'll get it adjusted ASAP :grin:

Thanks everyone!

If your scope has room get a Telrad, your never look back... :)

I thought it needs adjustment as well. The difference is the shape of the sight right?

Bad collimation should not make it impossible to align the finder. You may need to realign the finder after you collimate though, especially if you make major adjustments.

A Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder show you a set of circles, rather than a single dot. It makes judging distances in the sky easier.

I thought it needs adjustment as well. The difference is the shape of the sight right?

It has its own base unit couple of strips on double sided tape mean you just put in in place and once adjusted it can be removed from the base if it gets in the way while stored, my Reflector had 2 bases there were either side of the focuser and i used the one easiest to look through depending how the scope was pointing, if you have Stellarium it has the telrad circles built in and searching for DSO will never be easier, you can remove the base unit with the aid of a hairdryer so the tube remains unmarked....