Recommend a good 2" 2x barlow?

AstroJOE

I'm looking for a decent 2" Barlow to compliment my new 2" 36mm Baader Aspheric eyepiece. Looking to spend between £50 and £75 but could stretch a bit more if necessary. I want something which is going to provide similar quality views to what I get from the 36mm on its own but at around 18mm focal length for use on planets and the moon.

Let me know if you have any recomendations or if you think I may be better off just getting a 17mm Baader Hyperion instead.

James

I've owned a couple of the Antares 1.6x 2" barlows and they are very, very good optically and have a "shorty" format to can be fully inserted into diagonals. The latest version does need a lot of additional inwards focuser travel but that should not cause any issues for SCT's or mak-cassegrains.

I've also used the Revelation / GSO 2" "x ED barlows which are pretty good for their cost but won't fully insert into a diagonal due to their long barrels.

I won't go on about Powermates or TeleXtenders as they take the price into another level altogether  :smiley:

Archived