Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Hawklord

Pacman - 40minutes of Hydrogen Alpha

A few nights back we tried out our new H-alpha filter with the VC200L and ST8300M. We lost a few subs because of poor guiding and intermittent cloud, so these are the best 4 of 10minute subs. Hopefully if the weather ever clears we'll add to it?!

All processed in PixInsight.

Cheers

post-4549-0-00852000-1388958378_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Good start! More subs will certainly help.

Which Ha filter is it? How do you find the VC200L? We don't often see images taken with it,

cheers

E.

We used the 7nm Baader 2" from FLO.

The VC200L is a lovely scope, the field is as flat as they say it is. The only fault I have with it is that the spider vanes are a tad on the thick side which can cause a bit of bloating of brighter stars. We use the F/6.4 reduced which bolts on securely, and there's no flexure even with a heavy camera/filter wheel combo.

Cheers

We used the 7nm Baader 2" from FLO.

The VC200L is a lovely scope, the field is as flat as they say it is. The only fault I have with it is that the spider vanes are a tad on the thick side which can cause a bit of bloating of brighter stars. We use the F/6.4 reduced which bolts on securely, and there's no flexure even with a heavy camera/filter wheel combo.

Cheers

Ah, thanks for the info, sounds like a great scope; have you had the need to collimate it thus far?

No, not had to collimate this one (about 4 years old), but did my previous one (bought in 1995), and I can confirm that it is quite fiddly.

It does need more subs, but perhaps there is some trailing? Zoomed in the stars begin to look like streaks.

Thanks Naemeth, you're right, the tracking went off so there is some trailing. I suspect that I didn't balance the scope well. The CGEMDX is not as forgiving in this respect to other mounts that we've used.

Those are indeed Bok globules. There look particularly prominent because of the great contrast.

Once the weather clears we'll revisit this one with some more h-alpha

Cheers

• Like 1