Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 2.5x Barlow internal reflections

Joe_L

I really like my Revelation 2.5x barlow but sometimes I notice swirly lights on bright targets. It's a bit like having moths fluttering around Jupiter. Today I was giving it a dust and noticed the inner surfaces of the barrel are shiny black, and there's also a ledge halfway down that could be a culprit. Anyone else experience this? Is it possible/sensible to flock it or apply matt paint?

Or is should I use emery paper on my eyeballs to stop them reflecting?

Joe

I never noticed any problems with mine.

Normally it is the eyepieces which cause reflection problems.

If you have EP's with generous eye relief, you may need to raise the eyecup up to prevent the stray light.

It occurs with the eyecup up. Maybe it's the eyepeices generating it but I only notice it when used in conjunction with the barlow. I only see it on bright targets e.g. Vega, Jupiter.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sounds like its not a common problem at least. I'll spend a bit a time checking which EPs it occurs on and which it doesn't, and check I've got the cup out fully - just need some observable weather first!

Joe

I once had some minor issues with the bright light reflecting off my face back into the eyepiece.

Nothing to do with the Balrow.

And easy to fix by moving closer to the eyepiece (or raising the cup)

• 2 months later...

Just reporting back on this old thread in case useful to someone else. It's been so cloudy it's taken till now to find time to experiment! By varying the distance of my eyeball from the EP I can focus/defocus the swirly lightso it's definitely a reflextion off my eyeball.

Archived