Narrowband

I got my first scope, Skywatcher 127on go to mount!

oldstout

Hi everyone, after following this fascinating forum for over a year :shocked:  I finally got my first bit of kit and I'm looking forward to some chilly nights in the back garden up here on the NE coast! :p

Had an excellent night a few nights back watching one of Jupiters moons go across the face of the planet and out onto the other side - absolutely fantastic!

Light pollution not too bad here in my back garden, and I have higher darker areas to go to within 30 mins if  I fancy it. I'm also going to take advantage of the Sunderland Astronomical Society meetings where no doubt I will glean some excellent advice.

Got to say that setting up the 127 is not as straightforward as I'd hoped, pinpointing the exact stars available from my grid reference is a bit tricky with very limited star knowledge! I'll be using other parts of this excellent forum for help in the future of course, but for now just wanted to say hello :grin:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey cheers Jim - I worked with a guy who is a regular up there and his enthusiasm tipped me into taking the plunge.  

I've looked up at the night sky for  well over 45 years in wonder, and now I can get that bit closer from the comfort of my back garden!

Welcome to SGL

Persevere with the 127 Mak.  It's a lovely scope and very capable for its size and price.  It may be worth upgrading to a 50mm finder, or even fitting a slightly larger refractor as a finder though the latter option is a fair bit more adventurous.

James

Have a look at the SAS website, wealth of info on there about upcoming events

JimW

Went on thisaffa Jim, excellent info and some good events - thanks!

Welcome to SGL

Persevere with the 127 Mak.  It's a lovely scope and very capable for its size and price.  It may be worth upgrading to a 50mm finder, or even fitting a slightly larger refractor as a finder though the latter option is a fair bit more adventurous.

James

.....and that's exactly the beauty of SGL - instant advice!! Thanks James :cool:

Hello Jim and welcome to SGL

Jim :eek:  ???  hahaha not me....

Johnny will do! :grin:

Oh dear, I didn't realise just how long I would end up looking at stuff on here, this place is an incredible resource - I was on here for hours last night then couldn't resist popping back now...  :eek:

:grin:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I used to own a Nexstar 5se which I believe is similar to your kit.  Once I got my head round the aligning and syncing it was a great mount and scope for visual work.  If your skywatcher is indeed similar you will have some good times.

Good luck.

Archived