SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello From the West Midlands

Becky

Hiya,

My name is Becky, I'm a 35 year old Glaswegian living at the moment in Birmingham. Hopefully going back home soon though.

I've always loved looking up at the night sky, I think this is a sort of primal thing that many folks have. Just standing there looking at the sky and thinking how unimaginably vast the universe is.. amazing!

I never really got beyond naked eye stuff as I just can't hold binoculars steady enough and a decent telescope costs a lot of money. My favourite constellation is Orion, but I'd drawn to the Pliades (sp?) also and all the associated folklore.

Just last Saturday I bought a cheepo telescope from Lidl. I don't expect miracles, but have to start somewhere :D It's a Bresser skylux which has a 70mm lens. Only a few mm short of the three inch minimum I've seen recommended on one site. Unfortunately its been raining since!

I've seen a favourable review of the telescope along with some smashing photos of the moon taken through it. (I love the moon too). I was getting myself a bit confuddled with the old RA / DEC stetting up the mount (Equitorial) but I saw the replies to someone called Andy and most of them said forget worrying about all that. Just learn the sky and look.

Anyway, thats pretty much all I have to say just now. I'll read the forums and hopefully contribute something useful at some point.

Peace and clear skies,

Becky.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Becky, and a warrm welcome to SGL. I am sure you will feel at home in no time.

We have a few ladies on the forum, and I am sure they will introduce themselves to you soon.

If you need any help just ask away.

Ron. :D

Wow, thank you all for your welcome messages. That's very kind.

Roy, I'm not too worried about the binoculars as I now have the telescope. I might bodge a bracket though so I can use them with the tripod that came with the telescope.

Gaz, love the avatar photo :D

Peace and clear skies,

Becky.

There's a couple of other options for the Bins. Use an old camping mat or picnic rug and lay on the floor using the top of your cheeks as part of a rest. You can knock up an arm rest using some wood (see <a href=http://www.kevhow.uklinux.net/>here</a>). I did read of someone who sat in a deckchair with a rolled up duvet or sleeping back across their lap to rest the elbows on and this helps support the bins.

Hi Becky

Welcome to SGL!

Hope the sky clears up soon so you can see Saturn with your telescope - should give you nice views. And next month Jupiter is back in the early mornings (see Stellarium program) so something to look forward to!

AG

Thanks for the tips jgs001.

Alex, yeah I hope to see saturn soon. That will be a treat. Mars too before it gets much further away. According to the BBC Sky At Night magazine we should make the most of Saturn this year because next year the rings will be 'end on' to us and not as spectacular as they can be.

Peace and clear skies,

Becky.

Archived