SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light on Saturn ... Drum Roll

You did well to capture Saturn so early. The seeing is going to be the key to getting a good image this year.

Had a bit of a play with your image whilst waiting for my dinner to cook, only a few mins work in R6 etc but I think it helps to show the importance of using the RGB align as Stuart has commented on a couple of times. It really is a must with all colour cam images and is even more important when the target is so low.

Hope you get some decent weather to get out again soon.

Nice images thanks.

Hopefully when the real winter arrives we may get a bit of snow and some clear crisp nights for imaging.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

To adress the color: before registax, try out PIPP and check the option 'stretch histogram' in some of the processing tab. In my case using a dslr, my starting color are about the same as yours. After pre-treatment in pipp, the more typical color came up. Don t ask me why, but this option in pipp was the solution to me (and without playing with rgb align in registax)

Without the pipp strecth option:

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/18103-saturn-4th/

With (from a different capture, but all the same set up and no other kind of color treatment, apart pipp stretch histogram):

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/18145-saturn/

Thanks Snakey. Seeing on the 2sd one was a bit better if I recall (but the original color is always the same in my set up)

Christoffer: as mentioned give it a try in PIPP from the starting AVI with this option tickled (this is not a pre-set to have it tickled). I am curious to see if that adress also the color issue with that simple trick in your case (as mentioned, in my case this was from a DSLR and I have no experience with your type of cameras, so may not work in your case?). I only process my avi´s with PIPP + Registax.

I tried several time AS2 (with or without PIPP pre-treatment), but I never managed to get something better than PIPP + registax (maybe simply a matter of skill and experience manipulating AS2! some other certainly master AS2 better than I do)

Hi

To adress the color: before registax, try out PIPP and check the option 'stretch histogram' in some of the processing tab. In my case using a dslr, my starting color are about the same as yours. After pre-treatment in pipp, the more typical color came up. Don t ask me why, but this option in pipp was the solution to me (and without playing with rgb align in registax)

Without the pipp strecth option:

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/18103-saturn-4th/

With (from a different capture, but all the same set up and no other kind of color treatment, apart pipp stretch histogram):

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/18145-saturn/

Wow, that is nice, i like the way the colour banding has come out. 

I will give this a go and post results soon, thanks.

Hi,

indeed I never realized also color banding is coming out: by curiosity, I just reprocessed another AVI (but the same this time -I don´t keep much AVI and don ´t have the ones related to the pictures I posted before) and indeed it is coming out (below exactly same original AVI, again with/without PIPP "Stretch histogram" checked, nothing else in touching colors, below is a stack in R6 with just a quick wavelet):... so further room for improvement for sure

post-27995-0-15375900-1389379683.jpg

Archived