Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

baggywrinkle

Anti virus software

The free version of Norton on my new PC is about to run out.

Is there a relaible freeware anti vrus software that any of you are using?

Actually, Microsoft have their own Windows Defender thingy too.  It's probably worth checking out what that does.

James

If your with Barclays bank they give away a 12months one from kerspersky,I got no complaints with it works well.

• Like 1

We use Windows Security Essentials (free from Microsoft site) and haven't had any problems.It was rated highly in Which? magazine.

Avast, perhaps? www.avast.com

James

Avast all the way for me, I even went premium.

Avast for me been using it for 4 years now in conjunction with Comodo firewall had no problems.

I fifth Avast, it's a great piece of software and I would also recommend that in addition to avast to download Malwarebytes which is also free.

Not much will get past that.

Used AVG for a number of years and wouldn't consider using anything else!!

Avast is the only free software I know that is not detrimental to PC performance.

I think you'll need to download something from Norton to get rid of it, I removed it once and it didn't go quietly :)

Dave

I think you'll need to download something from Norton to get rid of it, I removed it once and it didn't go quietly :)

Dave

I had to spend a long time in my pal's registry to remove all the detrius Norton left.

Like a disgruntled tenant with an eviction notice...:D

You are quite right Dave - I was helping a friend to move away from Norton (yuck) and it put up quite a struggle before I finally managed to slain it :evil:

Having said so... all of them (including Avast and AVG) engage in dodgy practices of surreptitiously "sneaking in" things like chrome or google toolbars etc.

They are also trying to fool you with "free trial" versions as opposed to "free" versions etc.

Proceed carefully watching what you doing before clicking the mouse (most of the people seem to click before engaging brain in gear) and you will be OK :grin:

I personally have used both AVG and Avast and currently prefer and recommend the latter (but either is fine).

Avast, but not for XP as I was told by them they do not support E.I 8 and told to use Google Chrome which I don't like so went for windows Security Essentials.

Avast, but not for XP as I was told by them they do not support E.I 8 and told to use Google Chrome which I don't like so went for windows Security Essentials.

It's IE8, as you say - good point about that.

I have totally forgotten about it because I never use any IE.

I am using Avast happily with XP and Firefox