SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Did you see that?!...

StarryEyes

So I'm sat watching TV and I noticed that it was clear outside so I was thinking I would get my camera out to take some wide field shots. Then all of a sudden (I wasn't looking out of the window but at the TV) a bright streak of light caught my eye through the window and I looked to see a huge shooting star streak through the sky. I couldn't believe how bright it was.

I wish I'd been a bit sooner with my camera!

Did anyone else see it? It was heading south just over 15 mins ago.

I posted something in the observing reports section about a really bright slow moving meteor I saw a couple of nights ago moving through Taurus into Orion. It looked brighter than Jupiter and appeared to disintigrate at the end. Never seen anything like it before.

That sounds like it was amazing to see AstroJon. In the same area of sky then.

This one was moving fairly fast but was burning up for quite a while, as it caught my eye and then I saw it traveling a distance before it burned up.

That does actually sound fairly similar yes. When I said slow it was still pretty quick but slower than a regular meteor. It certainly was one of the most spectular sights I have seen in the sky.

There appears to have been a number of observations of  bright meteors/fireballs in that region of sky recently, possibly part of the Quadrantids shower.

My personal favourite is the International space center, various freebies are available on the net for tracking when she will be overhead and that is a great shot for a camera on a tripod, leave the lens open so you get a white streak through the picture. I am also an avid satellite watcher and looking for anything passing over and then identifying it really does make you realise how clever we simple humans are.

Archived