Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing live 2014

northwalesparry

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the details of the one at Norwich.

Don't know of the presenter for the event but from the description and from the line of people brought in for other astronomy show presentation by the BBC why are they seeming to pair astronomy and comedians ?

We are open for this event and open every saturday as normal;

http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk

The Astronomy Centre is a major resource for both amateur astronomers and the general public. Based above Todmorden in the North West of England, we have facilities and on-site equipment for both members and visitors.

The Observatory is open to the public every Saturday evening from 7.30pm onwards. Visitors are advised to wrap up warmly, with sensible footwear, as the site can get very cold at any time of year. There is a nominal charge for non-member visitors of £2 per person (£1 for children and concessions), though further donations are always welcome! Group visits can also be made at other times by arrangement.

Series linked. I'll watch after the other half goes up to bed. Cant get her interested at all, having none of it.

Never watched one of these Live events before

Mines the same. Had an amazing view in my 6mm of jupiter and GRS so when I saw her enter the kitchen I said you have to see this, her reply 'nah too cold.' I couldn't understand it.

Mines the same. Had an amazing view in my 6mm of jupiter and GRS so when I saw her enter the kitchen I said you have to see this, her reply 'nah too cold.' I couldn't understand it.

Got her outside, looked at Jupiter. All I got was 'that's nice, now can I go back in the warm'

Ditto..when i got my first scope all i got from her was yet another one of your crackpot ideas.not a hope  to get her to watch stargazing live and not a hope in hell to look through the scope

Excellent and cant wait for tonight. 

For those not fortunate enough to be in the UK for the broadcast it can be watched using the BBC iplayer service. However, due to licensing restrictions you will need to use a proxy so as to 'pretend' you are in the UK. Not strictly good form but it will work.

For those not fortunate enough to be in the UK for the broadcast it can be watched using the BBC iplayer service. However, due to licensing restrictions you will need to use a proxy so as to 'pretend' you are in the UK. Not strictly good form but it will work.

You would have thought by now that we realized that we are all human and are all actually still living on the same planet. Or are we?

Maybe I have it wrong?  Maybe their all aliens, and they want to concor our way of life if they were allowed to watch an actual TV program! ;)

Sorry ;)

Cath,

I think the restrictions on iPlayer access are more to do with the BBC charter than any desire to mess people around. They are chartered to provide a free broadcast service in the UK which is paid for by the TV license. I seem to recall that they are explicitly not allowed to broadcast free to other countries.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I can not understand why they don't keep there options open and have a few observation points dotted at, say 5 or 6 different locations about the UK. That way they have more than one chance of a clear sky.

They could either have a "guest" presenter at each location or have an agreed programme to follow and they could do an overlay commentary from the main studio

Hi all, yes it's that time of year again,and hopefully the weather will relent enough to allow us to see something(anything!) 'live'.  Whilst I'm pleased that anything astronomical is on primetime T.V.,I can't help but feel that I'm a bit of a 'party pooper'.O.K.,'Star gazing live '  may well introduce lots of newbies to astronomy,but I feel that the programme could be better. The presenters tend to let it down in my opinion- i.e. Brian Cox (the thinking womens' crumpet?)who seems to present every other science programme on the BBC,and Dara O'Briain,who seems to interrupt every 20 seconds with some inanity. Whilst I'll watch it,am I being a bit of a grouch? I'd much prefer quarterly 'specials' by the S@N team. Comments anyone?

Archived