SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2" wide field eyepiece for small F6 ED refractor

RedDwarf

Hi,

I have recently bought a William Optics ZenithStar 71 refractor as a grab and go scope and also for some wide field observing and imaging. I absolutely love the scope, but am keen to add a 2" eyepiece of around 30-35mm so I can enjoy the wider views this would give me.

I'm on a reasonably tight budget and have been looking at the SW Panaview and Aero eyepieces as they seem to get good reviews. Before I make my choice, I have a few questions which I hope someone may be able to answer -

1. At f5.9, will the the Aero show significant reduction in distortion towards the edge of the field of view - enough to make it worth the extra cost?

2. Are there any other eyepieces out there around this price point which would be worth considering?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I can't comment on the performance of the Aero or Panaview but another EP to throw into the mix is the Maxvision 68o 34mm.

http://www.optical-systems.com/maxvision-m-354.html?osCsid=kqt4mjov09mi6l6f3coafcmdg1

I use this in both my f/5.95 refractors and it has very good edge sharpness. It's well engineered but on the heavy side and the eyecup is slightly uncomfortable to use until you get used to it.

A lot of people on this forum have good things to say about the Maxvisions. They're very good value for money.

Thanks for the reply. This one slipped through the net when I was doing my googling. Reviews look good, so I'll add this to the mix. Weight isn't too much of a problem, it's more the quality of view across the field which I care most about.

If the weight isn't an issue for you, then MV 34mm should be your best pick of the three, if it's the same optical quality as the other MV eyepieces I have. AERO 40mm shows very limited amount of astigmatism in my 80ED, while MVs are clearly better in edge sharpness.

Archived