Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My first relative success at this target.
Some dust mites show because the mount had good tracking and I used no darks nor flats. With my camera the cure should be quite simply to power cycle off/on so that auto-cleaning moves the dust elsewhere.
Capture: Olympus E-PL6 on Skywatcher 130PDS at 565mm/4.35 with SWCC and didymium filter on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
Exposure: 12 × 60s × 2500iso
Site: 50km from Paris (France), sky Bortle ~ 4
Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
Not the total failure I was expecting.
Vixen VC200L Telescope
Canon 450D camera unmodified
All I could do before fog ended the night:-
x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats
Processed in APP
After being sick for what feels like an eternity, followed by two weeks of clouds and wind, i simply could not just let this night go as it was said to be yet another week or two with clouds on the way.
With my main scope not quite ready for use yet, i quickly hooked up the QHY5L-II-M to a canon 50mm lens, attached a 7nm Ha filter, and started looking for a decent target. I didn't need to look long before i saw Orion, and then it was set!
As the moon is currently 78% lit i must admit i was a bit worried, but i think the end result turned out OK, especially considering the relatively little data of just about 1 hour.
Exposure is 13x 300s (and 35x 30s for the core of M42) with the QHY5L-II at gain 12.
The lens is a Canon 50mm F/1.4@F/2.8
Darks applied to 300s exposures, but no flats or offset. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and cropped to 16*9 size.
This is the Ha (15x 30 mins with the Chroma 3nm) to go with the LRGB data I used here:
I haven't managed to satisfactorily incorporate it yet, I think because it's a lot stronger than the RGB and it reddens the image too much (and overwhelms a lot of the brown dust which I want to preserve). Ideally I'd increase the amount of LRGB data substantially to help with this but it's too late for that now this year; guess I'll have to work on my processing skills a bit more. Will also try to rework the stars in (L)RGB to tame them somewhat.