Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Canon EOS for SW 80ED...? More MegaPixels = noise?

Which (mid range) Canon EOS is best for DSO photography (to use with a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro & HEQ5 PRO I hope to have very soon)?

We already have a Canon EOS 400D - but this doesn't have live view and I realise this could be a pain - especially if I want to try using Backyard EOS & APT software... 

soooo, if I was to upgrade would I be better going for one of the models with higher (18) megapixels - or might this cause more problems...? or should I go for camera which has been modified for AstroPhotog.?  (..are there different types of modifications that can be made to the cameras or is there just one standard type)?

thanks

I believe if you are hooking it up to the computer to control it then you don't the live view....could be wrong as i've never done this. So your 400D will work just fine if you dont want to upgrade. The only thing you would want live view for is focusing. I could've swore that you can get a "live view" through the computer to help aid in focusing. Even if it doesn't it isn't necessary either. You can take very short exposures and fine tune the focus that way. Its essentially what we have to do with CCD cameras. 

If its not I used the 450D with great success. Has live view. Noise is decently low. Just keep in mind its a DSLR so you will always have more noise than a CCD. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/177259-8hrs-m31-m42/ Here are the last two images I took with my 450D and ED80. Will give you a good sense of what you will be able to get. NOW I'm sure with some practice you could do better. I'm still not the best at processing and I've seen some amazing DSLR images pop up on APOD so I know its possible to do a lot better. There are even people on here that do amazing DSLR processing. I personally would waste a lot of money on a high grade DSLR. They will always be noisier than a CCD and the high grade ones cost just as much. 

Archived