Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Bizibilder

My observatory has gone mouldy!

Recommended Posts

Last night I noticed that the underside of the plywood roof of my new observatory was covered in little gray/black specks - I assume this to be gray mould caused by the constant damp weather??  There are no leaks but the constant rain and high humidity can't be doing it any good.  The underside of the roof was not painted during construction - a job that was left for the spring due to work etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to kill the mould off?  I can think of wiping the surfaces with either meths or dilute bleach, either of which should do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biz. Solution with bleach would kill the mould then paint with a bathroom paint which should be more tolerant to all the moisture.

Best would be a way of keeping things drier in there

Good luck.

Gareth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I noticed that the underside of the plywood roof of my new observatory was covered in little gray/black specks - I assume this to be gray mould caused by the constant damp weather??  There are no leaks but the constant rain and high humidity can't be doing it any good.  The underside of the roof was not painted during construction - a job that was left for the spring due to work etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to kill the mould off?  I can think of wiping the surfaces with either meths or dilute bleach, either of which should do the trick.

Mines the same a plywood sheet with green stuff that's a bit wet, i think the bleach will work, and i have some bathroom paint that worked very well until the wife re-coated it with B&Q stuff....I think it will need to dry out so i will be  leaving it until the summer and some sunshine....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a though is this only happening to Roofs that are rubber covered...????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

id get a couple of dehemidifiers in their and also get some anti bacterial mould paint to slap on from a BNQ to stop it or prevent it from coming back for as long as possible as the last thing you want is for your optics to start festering mould :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a though is this only happening to Roofs that are rubber covered...????

Nope i have a workshop covered with 18mm ply and double layer of felt and i have been getting mould for years now only in certain parts for some reason.

Even after continuous treating and paint and better air flow it still comes through,really annoying.

I just spray Dettol mould and mildew remover  now whenever i see it coming through,lasts a while when treated so not a permanent fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found Patio Magic worked really well killing any mould/moss on my shed. Just spray on and wait a week.

In future, I'd paint/varnish the surface and consider a dehumidifier. I've just received my ELA DD822.

6.JPG

7.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were to put a couple of vents in, that would let the air flow which would cut down on the dampness and condinsation which causes mould.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a dehumidifier for a couple of one hour slots per day in my wooden observatory but have noticed mould this year on the inside of the South side. The timber is all coated in Sadolin but the mould grows on top! It must be a combination of warmth and extra damp recently, nothing on the other surfaces.

What I also have this year is an infestation of ladybirds huddled in several groups of 50-100! Does anyone else have these over wintering visitors?

Linton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what concerns me - there is good ventilation that can get in under the roof overhangs and, in the breeze we've been having recently, there is no shortage of ventilation.  The ply is not in any way "damp" ie not visibly wet or wet to the touch -it's just the current persistent high humidity and above average temperatures that seem to be the problem.

here is a swift picture of the offending spots:

post-4502-0-25881500-1388851339_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that good ventalation would help considerably, I have a roll off shed - so it is up on wheels with a dirty great slot cut into the floor, plus I added vent holes above the door and just below the roof overhang to allow hot air out if we ever had a run of hot weather (hahaha).

Living in very wet Wales my shed stays absolutely dry, as does the kit inside and I have never had any mold.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.