Which eyepiece should i get?

Hey guys, I'm new to astronomy so bear with me.

I recently received a telescope for christmas. It came with a couple of eyepieces, but they seem to not show very much planetary detail. Only the 20mm eyepiece shows Jupiter's bands but i have to stare and squint for a long to reveal very dull detail. The telescope is a Celestron Powerseeker 127Eq. So what eyepiece would be best for me to view the planets with a very sharp detail. My maximum price would be about $50.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Below is a picture i took of Jupiter with my current equipment.  It usually looks like a white sphere.

post-34253-0-88666600-1388724025_thumb.j

Your scope is 1000mm focal length and 127 dia so f/8 more or less.

Look at a reasonable plossl at about 8mm or 10mm, or the Astro-Tech Paradigm ( I see you say $50).

Now the not so good news: The focal length is 1000mm the tube is 508mm, which implies a Bird-Jones design. In effect they put a barlow type arrangement in the focuser. As whoever made it tries to save money the bit in the focuser is not great. I would suggest therefore that you do not look at putting a barlow in front of any eyepiece. As you then would have in effect 2 barlows and an eyepiece. Too much glassware.

Your scope is 1000mm focal length and 127 dia so f/8 more or less.

Look at a reasonable plossl at about 8mm or 10mm, or the Astro-Tech Paradigm ( I see you say $50).

Now the not so good news: The focal length is 1000mm the tube is 508mm, which implies a Bird-Jones design. In effect they put a barlow type arrangement in the focuser. As whoever made it tries to save money the bit in the focuser is not great. I would suggest therefore that you do not look at putting a barlow in front of any eyepiece. As you then would have in effect 2 barlows and an eyepiece. Too much glassware.

So you say a plossl eyepeice should do. I've heard of those before and heard they do well with planetary detail.  Does it matter which company the plossl comes from?

I have Revelation Plossls which I have used successfully in both scopes.

They are £23 plus £3 delivery.

However - once you try the wider view eyepieces, you won't want to go back to 52 degree Plossls.

For £49 I suggest that you also consider the 8mm BST Starguider at 125x magnification (or 5mm at 200x)

The light capture will be better - giving you brighter views of the fainter objects in the sky.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical/BST-Starguider-ED-/_i.html?_fsub=2568750014&_sid=53377064&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

This 6mm 58 degree EP will be OK for £40 - but the £50 BST should be better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-6mm-58-Degree-TMB-Planetary-II-eyepiece-/161184396400?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item258756b470#ht_3954wt_1316

A good idea would be to meet up with other telescope users and try their gear before you buy.

Look for a local club in your area.

Archived