Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

***New Beginners Section - POLL, PLEASE READ***

Would novices prefer a seperate section for their images?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would novices prefer a seperate section for their images?

Hi All,

We try to encourage everyone here at SGL.

A suggestion has been made that we should have a novices imaging board.

At SGL we will do whatever it takes to encourage all aspects of astronomy, but we do not want people to feel intimidated to post in the existing imaging sections. We do not want the existing imaging sections to become an elite only area or anything like that.

So the question of the day is "Would a seperate imaging section for new, less experienced members be of interest?"

It would be entirely down to the individual member which section they posted their images in, and when they moved over into the main sections (or indeed if they posted straight into the existing boards).

So what do you think? This poll is open to novices only.

Ant

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ant, Personally speaking, it might be nice to be able to look at my work alongside others at a similar level, but I'm not concerned about posting in the main section, I have already done so. However, I can see how others might feel somewhat intimidated by the quality of the other postings that are made.

I'm definitely in the novices camp but have no problem with posting with the big boys. So I will vote accordingly.

At the risk of muddying the waters, rather than a beginners section, perhaps a place to post as Pluto did recently where he actively sought processing assistance - KK and MartinB duly obliging. I find having a raw image plus the methods used and results obtained by an experienced imager very helpful. It gives me the chance to try to emulate the results.

Mike

Just to remind everyone that the poll is anonymous - you can vote without posting a message if you want to.

We would like as many votes as possible...

Don't forget that we have a Suggestions section here for any other idea's that you have, we read all of them and consider every suggestion.

Ant

A 'beginners' imaging section seems to work well on UKAI, and so I guess there's no reason to think it would be any different here on SGL.

From a personal view point, I think that if I was back at the beginning of the imaging 'learning curve', I would probably feel a little more comfortable with 'posting' my imaging efforts, in a 'beginners section'.

However, its true to say that 'novice' imagers receive the exactly the same friendly help and encouragement on this forum, irrespective of whatever imaging section they 'post' in. The 'bottom line' is that no matter how long we've been imaging, we are all never finished learning, and in sharing our results and ideas with others, we learn from each other.

So, if I had to vote for or against a 'beginners section', although the balance would be something like 49% to 51%, I give the 51% to a 'Yes' vote, for a new section, and have voted accordingly.

Dave

I personally need to ask 'basic' questions for both visual and imaging astronomy, but I have no fear that some kind soul on SGL will take me under there wing and put me in the ight direction no matter how daft or simple the question. But, in saying that when it comes to posting 'basic' images of the sky I've tended to shy away from that. I don't really know why, but it may to do with the fact that I can't see the point in showing off my very basic picture of M42 taken with one 15 second exposure from a 'normal' digital camera, no aligning/stacking/doctoring, when compared to a very knowledgale imaging astronomer who's taken the same picture of M42, with a £2000 camera with all finest applicable accessories, 10,000 exposures taken at intervals over 2 years, then aligned/stacked/doctored using the latest version of the best photoshop software and after all that, repeat the proccess because he wasn't 'happy' with his 'snap'.

Sorry guys, what I'm trying to say is YES!

Rob. :D

Edit(Ant): Icon fixed :rolleyes: You need no spaces between the : and the letters.

. I don't really know why, but it may to do with the fact that I can't see the point in showing off my very basic picture of M42 taken with one 15 second exposure from a 'normal' digital camera, no aligning/stacking/doctoring,

Rob. : icon_jokercolor :

I think you will find that everybody who started out imaging has been in exactly those boots :D

It was only by the encouragement that i received that meant i progressed,I don't think i have ever see a post where the reply was "Thats carp why did you bother".

Personally i have posted some (and still do) images that really need to be binned but its all experience and as long as you learn from it i wouldn't be embarrassed to post a image

It is amazing the progress you will make ........Honest :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is a tough one for me... I have a couple reasons for and against....

1. I don't like the idea of segregating our imaging efforts by how good the majority may think the image is. (I'm sure the same amount of time and effort is put in). Not taking it away from either the novice beginners or quality 'pin-up poster class' imagers that we have on SGL... I don't think separated threads are needed to recognise the difference in image quality.

2. One thing I like about SGL is the very encouraging yet constructive feedback that every posted image gets no-matter how it was taken or by whom. It would be a shame to loose the significance of that by having separated sections.

3. [one reason for the idea]... IMO There really are some truly awe inspiring imagers on this forum.. you know who you are you modest lot :D. Although members shouldn't, some beginners may feel reluctant to post their first efforts of the very same sky objects that have been truly nailed by great imagers/equipment. With this in mind, it would be a shame to miss out on seeing how people start out/progress.. so maybe a beginners forum will encourage more to upload their efforts.

So not quite sure what I would vote for... :scratch: probably leaning towards a no. I think my solution would be to not have the beginners section but maybe have prompts/stickies by mods to all members saying upload their efforts in to the imaging section no-matter how horrendous they may think it is.

Matt

I voted No.

As I said in the original thread, I like the way you can see a fantastic technicolour production posted next to one grabbed with a point-and-shoot camera held up to the eyepiece.

We would also lose the categories of DSO/lunar-solar/planetary if all beginners efforts were lumped together.

I think a sticky message at the top of each section saying "Contributions by new imagers are especially welcome" should be sufficient.

I might even have a go myself!

AG

I said No too. If I go into a Gallery, I look at all the pictures. Not just the bright ones, the big ones, the most colourful ones.

They all have something, and I am pleased that their creators took the time to show them for my benefit.

Let's have no segregation here. :nono:

Ron.

The question is: Would novices prefer a separate section for their images?

This means it’s only novices that should be voting…….

And your point is????? Seeing as VOTING is anonymous....

Sorry i didn't spot Centriod's posts.... :D I really should pay attention....

Hmmm!!, based on the current voting, 12 'for' and 11 'against, it seems that my own 'gut feeling' of 51% 'for' and 49% 'against, was pretty close to the 'status quo' at the moment.

Looks like we may have a 'hung parliament' :D

Dave

This may have been said already but when do you no longer qualify as a noobie in the imaging stakes.

Compared to some people on this forum my images are rubbish but I do not think they are as bad as when i first started so at what point would an imager move to the intermediate section.

Plus, why not keep them altogether, some really good imagers on here probably take and post some duff shots compared to their usual standard and in any event what is a noobie image. Some shots may not look great but it has taken much skill to get it for example or most people can image M42 to a reasonable level so would these always qualify as intermediate.

Enough rambling.

That was the whole purpose of this thread to let the people that consider themselves at the base of the learning curve vote.

It is down to the individual member if they consider themselves a begginer or not.

I wouldn't use a beginners section personally, but I have to remember that my view and experience of SGL is probably very different to almost everyone elses.

The response so far doesn't really justify creating a new board.

Ant

Archived