Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

The questions are.

Is it a good scope for deepsky?

Is this a good scope in general?

Should I get this instead of another reflector that is 10"?

Should I buy this scope?

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102006.uts?refinementValueIds=4568&refineByCategoryId=13

A lot of people have recommended it, it has 10" and it cost less then the one im looking at, im still not sure tho xD

as long as you can shift it about, dont think you will go far wrong with it.

Hi there,

I've had one of those (10" Intelliscope), and yes - I would highly recommend it. Great optics, good quality scope. 

Regarding your questions

- Certainly is!
- Absolutely (considering other DOBs with the same/similar price tag on the market)
-Depending what you mean by another reflector... Do you have anything specific in mind?
Should I buy this scope?
- I am not sure anyone could answer this. You should maybe ask yourself a few questions first?
Have you had any other scopes yet? If not, maybe it is a bit too early for a 10" then... 
Are you familiar with the sky? Do you know where to look for things? If not, maybe you could do more reading and experience with something smaller first... Or consider the push-to version of the same scope (Intelliscope type), that will guide you around the sky. 
Do you need a portable scope (are you going to be heading away to remote sites for observing)? If so, you need to take into account the size and weight of this bad boy. It is big... and I mean - big! It is borderline portable. I wouldn't fancy moving around anything bigger than that. 
Lastly, do you have any back problems?  If so - this bad boy could only make it worse...  :grin:
Hope it helps. 
Edited by tom33pr

Portability can be an issue with the bigger dobs. I'm glad I got the 10 instead of the 12 as it is a lot bigger than I anticipated. It's not too difficult to move around though. The base and OTA are easy enough to handle on their own but anything bigger and I wouldn't want to haul it out to the backyard on a regular basis.

The questions are.

Should I buy this scope?

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102006.uts?refinementValueIds=4568&refineByCategoryId=13

I think it is a great scope for the money. The higher quality Plossl EP will give better views than lower quality EPs offered in other 10" scopes but those usually give you 2 or 3 EPs of lesser quality.

So if you do get this scope, think about getting two more Plossls - say a 10-15mm and a 6mm to cover most of your deep sky objects as well as solar system objects. And portability is another important factor -  though this scope may be a bit hard to transport for a boy your age, you should be able to if you are careful.