Narrowband

Light pollution filter?

Hi All

I got an ED80 for Christmas and now ive got a proper imaging scope i want to seriously get into dlsr stuff i use a canon 1000D, but being in doncaster the loight pollution is fair to say very effective at spoiling my images, even short exposures (depending on the direction im imaging) have a slight orange glow. So im looking to get a good quality filter help sort it out, i understand that the filters can never replace dark skies but it will help when im in the back garden. ive attached 2 images, 1 of m31 which is a 2 min exposure and 1 of The Orion nebula, which is also a 2 min exposure, you can see the the amount of pollution i have to put up with, ive emailed first light optics for info and steve suggested a couple of filters but they are close to £200. i will pay this amount if i have to i can save some money no problem, he suggested the following, the first is the one he uses:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/idas-mfa-filter-adapter-kit-for-canon-eos.html

the next one he said i would need a t mount camera adapter for but i think i have somthing like this that came with my ED80 im not too sure. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/idas-d1-light-pollution-suppression-filter.html

so if anyone can suggest other filters or offer so advice on the ones suggested by FLO that would be brillaint! 

Thanks

Chris 

post-28669-0-54158400-1388676899_thumb.j

post-28669-0-92448100-1388677182_thumb.j

Jeez - I thought my light pollution was bad!

Yes FLO give generally good advice so I would think they are spot on - but I am visual only, and filters then are a lot cheaper

i know what you mean if they suggest somthing go with it, and around my village where orion rises in that direction ive got the town centre, and where m31 is when i can image it ive got another village in the same direction which is bigger then mine  

Of the two, I'd go with the clip fitting, that allows more flexibility, and use of EF (not EF-S) lenses. Given that you'd be wanting 2" fittings and filters anyway, the clip filter isn't that much more expensive. 

I've had reasonable success with the SW LPR filter, but I don't think my LP is quite that bad... it's cheap enough anyway that if it didn't work quite so well it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I generally use the CLS Clip filter, which works really well for me. 

Why do I have both, the CLS is used for fast systems (f/5 and quicker), the SW LPR for slower systems (I just wish I could find my SW filter).

Hi Chris

I have the IDAS MFA filter and it significantly reduces the light pollution. Yes, it is expensive but it seems to be regarded as being one of the best LP filters on the market. 

By the way, your LP doesn't look too bad to me. Before I got the filter my 30s subs were way more orange than your 2 mins! 

Hi Chris

I have the IDAS MFA filter and it significantly reduces the light pollution. Yes, it is expensive but it seems to be regarded as being one of the best LP filters on the market. 

By the way, your LP doesn't look too bad to me. Before I got the filter my 30s subs were way more orange than your 2 mins! 

i only do those shorter ones at the moment, but i can get to as much as 6-8 min subs thats the problem, if i do about 3 the orange on my images is not even if you get me its brighter at the bottom of the image then at the top and my processing skills are rubbish really, and the other point ive just thought of is, if i want to tr somthing faint id need lots of shorter exposures with the filter i could go for the longer ones :) but now you have said the filter you have is brilliant i think ill save up abit of cash 

Of the two, I'd go with the clip fitting, that allows more flexibility, and use of EF (not EF-S) lenses. Given that you'd be wanting 2" fittings and filters anyway, the clip filter isn't that much more expensive. 

If you just have the clip fitting in, but not the filter, can you then use an EF-S lens (for normal daytime use) or are you stuck with EF lenses forever even with just the clip?

I only use the clip fikter for AP and remove it for all other photography. Once removed you can fit EfS lenses again. The clip filters are designed to be removed when not in use.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I only use the clip fikter for AP and remove it for all other photography. Once removed you can fit EfS lenses again. The clip filters are designed to be removed when not in use. 

Cheers, I can put it on next years Christmas list then ;)

The LP in those images doesn't look too bad to me (I live in Birmingham city centre).  That will easily process out to give you some lovely pics.

I occasionally use an Astronomik clip-in filter.  It cuts a lot of red and quite a bit of green light out.  You can correct for it in processing and/or use a custom white balance on the camera.  I only use it when I really have to though as, ultimately, it is only taking something away from the image.

If the object you are imaging is brighter than the light pollution then you can process out the LP, with or without a filter.

Archived