Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Really struggling with motivation

Stargazer_00

Not really sure what I want to get from this post but wanted to discuss it here nonetheless.  Don't want to depress anyone, certainly!   Basically I haven't been out for a month - 6 weeks despite noticing very clear skies on nights where there was no moon.  I look at the sky, feel cold and then go back in doors..

I don't know what it is or why it is but I just am not motivated to go out anymore.  I bought a 14" dob in the summer and invested heavily into new eyepieces in the autumn in readiness for the winter and simply find myself not wanting to go out into the cold.

I'm seriously starting to look at the scope and eyepeices as money that can be liquidated which is a depressing thought!   I've recently picked up a Virtual Reality headset for my PC which is taking all my enthusiasm as it is an emerging technology that I've gotten into before it's gone mainstream.  It's a very exciting medium and experience and it seems that my enthusiasm  for hobbies is finite and this new one is exhausting all my resources. 

What to do?  I am seriously considering down sizing my kit to the point of a 6" (150p +AZ4) and selling off the Delos and Ethos eyepieces and getting something like a set of BSTs to fill the gap between the TV zoom and the 18 ES and 24 Meade UWAs (i'd never sell the TV zoom and the 18/24mm wont fetch much 2nd hand so would keep them for their wide views).

I don't see i'm ever not going to have a telescope I just don't know if it's worth being as invested in it as I currently am given the way I currently have no motivation to go out when it's really at its best.  That way I can get some cash and invest it in other things I need at the moment (car, better PC, bathroom or kitchen etc etc). 

I guess there is always a chance I would get interested again in the future and regret selling off the kit, but the alternative is simply having perfectly good high quality kit being completely unused when I could sell it on to someone who would really enjoy it and use it :/

A bit stuck, what to do?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham,  it sounds as if you have exhausted interest in your current kit and maybe it's time for something completely new. Have you thought about doing AP from inside your home. I noticed that you said you don't like going out in the cold and  changing your way of viewing could be the answer. 

Have you the capital,and room for an observatory.You can great roll offs with an attached warm room,or if you are handy try build one yourself.

Motivation is so much easier,if everything is set up,and you just roll the roof back.

Just a thought.

Mick.

Hello Graham

Do you think it's the cold or the going out. If it's the going out, then you may not get that interested again. It depends if you're the type that moves from one thing to the other. I was into archery and spent a fair bit of money on it, got an injury and now not sure if I can motivate myself to do it again. I should sell the gear, but feel I invested a lot of time practicing and getting to know people at the club, and shouldn't sell it as I'll go back. But will I??

I suppose only you can answer your question. If it's the cold, get some nice thermals, a warm snood and anglers neoprene gloves. You won't feel it.

If you've lost your astro buzz, that's different. Was there an element of collecting all the good gear and now that your spending is 'over' some of the excitement is gone?

You probably know if you'll go back to the EP or not. If not, sell the gear, move on and don't beat yourself up. Enjoy the good nights you had.

Or try to enjoy a few more and then make your mind up.

Shame to miss those spring galaxies with your extra aperture and fine EPs

The larger the kit, the more motivation is required to get it out. Perhaps you have reached a stage where you need to take a step back and use a lesser aperture for convenience. The suggestion of an observatory is a good one as it makes things much easier but if you are doubting your interest level it might be a step forward too far. These circumstances, in my view, underline the prudence of purchasing secondhand equipment as its resale along the line results in little or even no financial loss.  :smiley:

Thanks guys, some food for thought there.

I forgot to mention that my last 2 issues of Sky at Night magazine are still sitting in my magazine rack in their plastic postal jackets.  I haven't even opened them yet..  I think I've just lost interest :(

Hiya Graham,

The way I see it is that you are part of the family here at SGL and I feel honoured that you have shared your thoughts and concerns with us. Thank you. I don't really have much advice to offer but I feel you shouldn't worry about what you're thinking on this particular front, seriously. If you think that astronomy is not working out, that it feels like a chore and getting you down a little, don't do it, but don't go beating yourself up about it. If it's been a clear night, a clear week, month or season and you haven't got out, well so be it;  you don't owe anyone anything in this hobby.

Whatever you decide, don't rush into the decision, especially in this grey and damp and miserable month of January. You have quite a serious amount of cash tied up in your gear and the interest may sneak up on you as the months begin to warm up again. It sounds like you have other interests keeping you occupied at the moment which is a great thing, so although I think it would be a bad move to sell your gear right now, it might not be such a bad idea to sit it out for a while and if the interest isn't sparked by spring time, for example, to downside a little. I mean, a set of plossls and orthos and a 6" scope will offer a lifetime of pleasure and it means you've freed up a little cash for your other interests. Another idea may be solar observing. If the cold and late nights are two of the great banes of stargazing, solar work by comparison is a serious joy.

Above all, the universe and its slendours will always be there for you, and in this way they are very forgiving and much the same can be said for SGL. Don't become a stranger, Graham. Keep on participating, sharing your knowledge and insights.

Best wishes to you and yours,

Rob

there's no shame in changing hobbies or interests. I suspect we have all had passions about certain things which have eventually waned. sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't; the most important thing to me is to do things because you enjoy them. I was previously a county moth recorder and set a trap almost every night, set about computerising the data for the county and produced copious data for many places. it became too much in the end and I turned my back on it for astronomy and have never looked back.

I do agree with Peter that a smaller scope might make you more inclined to observe more frequently. think back to those excellent reports you did with your 10" scope a while back (assuming I am thinking of the right person!). I also agree about buying used.

if you have a new interest and want to move on then that's obviously your call and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

in your shoes and assuming you make a decision to sell the nig scope, I would personally retain a smaller scope and do as you suggested you might.

good luck whatever you choose.

I really understand what you are saying Graham...been feeling that way myself a bit recently. I think the thing to do is maybe take your time...after all, as Rob said, the sky ain't going anywhere! And it is a hobby - its not supposed to be work, or a burden or a chore. At least that's what I keep telling myself when I can't face setting up all over again. 

I think Peter has a fair point too - and that may be part of the problem I currently have with getting out - I feel I should be using my 6" refractor at every opportunity, but its such a chore to set-up sometimes, that I actually don't go out at all. I've decided to just take my time and rethink what I want to get out of the hobby, and if that means staying indoors (in the warm...) for a few weeks then that's ok too :).

Anyway, don't beat yourself up about it :grin:.

in the last 12 months I have used my 16" dob about 10 times only. the 10 times I used it were fab and I see it as an occasional treat to use the scope, especially if at a dark site. from home I have used my 12" and 6" scopes much much more as they are so much lighter to carry out the back and cool a lot more quickly. is it worth having the 16"? oh yeah! am I glad I have the 12" and 6"? oh yeah!

Do you have anybody locally that could share the equipment with you ? and come around and help set it up and raise your enthusiasm.

I'm sure there are plenty of budding astronomers around who would give their  eye teeth to look through your scope and eyepieces if you're the sociable sort.

Personally I'm a miserable old git and prefer my own company but it takes all sorts.

Dave

Graham,

I think Rob (Qualia) has hit the nail on the head, the weather is a pain in the UK and it does get damn cold, If I was feeling the way you are I would try to get as much money back on my outlay as possible and keep a set that is portable that you can use on a whim. The stars are going nowhere. :smiley:

I have been cycling for many years now but have not used my bikes for the last 4 months and I have now decided to sell them for much of the same reasons, if I leave them perched in the garage they will become worthless.

Solar observing is something I am about to take up and maybe another option for you, you can also get a tan at the same time :grin:

in the last 12 months I have used my 16" dob about 10 times only. the 10 times I used it were fab and I see it as an occasional treat to use the scope, especially if at a dark site. from home I have used my 12" and 6" scopes much much more as they are so much lighter to carry out the back and cool a lot more quickly. is it worth having the 16"? oh yeah! am I glad I have the 12" and 6"? oh yeah!

Absolutely agree here

LOOOve my 16", but have probably used the 10" more often last year. I find the 10" easier to set up and work (can do it sitting down!). The 16" is harder on the back for me. However, if I know I will have a run of a few hours, the big fella is rolled out. If its a furtive little peep or just catching a GRS or shadow transit, the 10" is the man for the job. I'm guessing if my wife told me it was one scope or herself, I suppose the 16" would have to go, after much thought.......only joking, love........ahem.

Graham, I'd maybe keep something reasonably handy maybe, nothing too small as you've been spoilt by those big views. A 10" maybe secondhand or maybe an 8"

Best of luck.

Barry

One of my former (now side-line) hobbies was cross-country skiing (in England!) OK so I did not use them in England (except for rare occasions around the Cheviots / North Pennine moors), they became a one week a year experience in Norway or the Cairngorms.  Armature Astronomy in the UK is also a little bit challenging to and can feel at times like a kind of commando operation when a clear sky opportunity presents itself. Fairly short notice - military precision (and absolute faith in the BBC MET) in organisation / ruthlessly cancelling other arrangements, is required before the clouds close in. There is a saying 'less is more' and 'all good things come to those who wait'. I think that applies; most of my astronomy is not in the doing its more in the planning, yet when I do get out under a good dark sky for a few hours and get to put all that planning into practice (and try out new kit) it all makes sense and the memory lingers, plus you get to share on here of course.

Some time back there ws a post on CN that asked the question:

Do you see more with a 12" reflector or an 80mm refractor.

Quite a few said the refractor, for the reason you pick it up and carry it out and start looking a lot more through it. So ultimately you see more with it.

If I said I am off to a spot I know about 20 miles, 35 minutes drive, from you how easily could you put the 14" in a car and join me?

Getting motivated on your own is difficult but finding something within the hobby that continues to stimulate requires planning.

Setting goals is important, try chasing objects that you have not yet been able to find/see, make a point of going to different sites, why not ask on this site for people/friends to get out with, have a dabble with AP, start a catalogue of objects you have seen along with the date/time/seeing conditions etc.

If all of this appears to be mundane and boring, you are probably right in your assumption that the thrill has gone and it's time to move on.

A lot of valid points have been said, and I totally understand how you feel. I used to go diving a fair bit, but now my kit has been sitting in its box for over 2 years. Mostly because the amount of effort required to pack up, drive to the coast for two 1 hour dives is quite a lot. The same goes for lugging out a big scope. 

I haven't had my scope (compact mak) out because we have two small kids and I don't want them to damage it. But I am looking forward to teaching them how to use it when they are older. Much in the same way I hope one of them might take an interest in diving some day - that's quite a few years away.

I also had quite a long period where I had no urge to go star gazing, but recently I have re-discovered the joy of the night sky and I you will too one day.

Keep hold of the gear, you never know when you wish you had it again, or perhaps, invest in something smaller if you don't think you will use it a lot, or like someone else said, try indoor AP. Going to a local club to meet with other like minded people will also boost your interest again, I am sure.

I hope your spirits will lift soon.

Hi Graham,

I thought it was just me.

Going outside, looking at the clear skies....then thinking to myself "cant be bothered" then pulling up a chair and having a cigar instead.

"whats wrong with you" the missus says........ Honestly, I dont know :icon_confused:

Mark.

Plenty of food for thought in the responses.  

Ask yourself the tough question, are you a quitter?  Someone who can only be motivated when they are infatuated by something.  Are you going to keep skipping from one thing to another.  You will cover a lot of ground but at a shallow level.  For observing I guess the next step is building your knowledge and skill base - really learning the night sky, improving finding DSOs, splitting doubles, high level planetary observing, variable star observation, sketching and so on.  These all take practice and some hard work.  

As had been suggested, a change of tack may be helpful, keeping the dob for high days and holidays.  Learning the night sky with the aid of a star atlas and a pair of binos is a great antidote to a heavyweight scope.  Wrapping up in warm layers, a down jacket, woolly hat, mits and some sheepskin boots with a flask of hot chocolate, should see you warm enough as you sit back in a garden chair observing the cosmos!

Thanks for all the responses everyone.  I'm definitely not going to quit astronomy, ever.  I love the stars and have a real passion for observing the universes beauty. 

I just don't think im into it as much as I am invested and need to down size a little.  I'll always keep one scope, a range of eyepieces and a copy of TLAO for when I forget what I'm looking at (even though I haven't been out for a while I can still find most things from memory I'm sure!)

If you think you will still stargaze at times in the future, why not keep the kit. You have a really nice setup there. You could say not bother in the coldest months if you don't feel up to it. I don't remember much being wrong with the views in August and September. You then have some really good kit for when you do want to go out. You've already spent the bucks and it might be hard to get the cash together again. So why not just let the other hobbies suck up your future spare cash. It sounds like you won't need to spend on astro for many years with the fab kit you have. Over ten years, you could have dozens and dozens of fantastic sessions with no future additional costs.

I think the biggest astro lesson I learnt was last year, when I figured out that I should make my hobby fit my life rather than the other way around. I'm no night owl. So now I just observe for an hour if that's all I fancy, or I might get up at 5am, when I am much more alert. I've also switched from wanting to image galaxies (which would mean being up a lot of the night unless I spend £££'s on a high end mount and obsy) to starting out with solar imaging.

Only you can decide what is best for you. It's just a hobby at the end of the day so it needs to stay fun in my book. Good luck making the right choice! :smiley:

I think it is a good idea to have a discussion about it - air some of your thoughts.  I remember reading your review on the the set of ES eyepiece you had and the pleasure they gave then looking forward to a bigger dob.  To some it's a natural progression to get bigger and upgrade equipment and chase that bit extra performance but it's not always the case. It is very tempting with this like other interests to get obsessed with just collecting equipment.

Perhaps as you hint a handful of eyepiece and a smaller telescope will still give you as much pleasure from astronomy when the time and motivation permit.  All the best for the New Year.

andrew

Archived