Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Moon monkey

15x70 celestron question

Hi, I am thinking of getting some binoculars for my birthday .....

I Have an 8" Newt that I use mainly for imaging, But I would like to have a look around whilst im imaging...

I do have an old pair of military binoculars that I am quite good at finding M31 and the orion neb ;-) But they are getting a bit past it now lol ...

I am on a budget (like many of us) But the Celestron 15x70 are a realistic price ... just wondered what people thought ??

Im not that small, so I don't think I will have a problem holding them ! and Im not against using a tripod, but would be nice to just take them out and use them .... ps I think m45 looks better through bins than through my scope ;-)

Thanks MM

Yes, I would strongly advise getting them, I have mine 2 years now and they're excellent for the price. And I think a tripod is definitely the way to go; yesterday for example I couldn't confirm just how narrow the crescent phase of Venus is until I stuck the binos on a tripod.

Hi. I would highly recommend getting some 15x70 binoculars although I don't own the pair you are referring to. I used mine last night for a quick two hour and was amazed by what you can see with them.

It would be a good idea if you are imaging to scan the sky's , have a look around or plan your next image.

I done a observing report from last night , in the observing section for binoculars. Have a read and you will have a idea of what can be seen with them.

Although I do use a tripod. I did try them with out but after abit you do start to get a slight shaking of the hands so a tripod might improve your view and enjoy them that bit more.

I must admit I prefer my 10x50 binos to my 15x70. I occasionally grab the binos (mostly when I can't be bothered to set the scope up, or if I'm out and about and don't have the scope with me). I don't believe there is anything I have found with the 15x75 Celestron that I havn't been able to find with the 10x50mm. These are also cost-effective (I think my Olympus were about £50 or thereabouts), and can be used more easily without a tripod.

I have a pair of Celestron 15x70s, and they are very good for the money. From a dark site - tripod necessary -  they are fantastic! I've had some wonderful views of many of the classic DSOs from a dark site I visit in C. France.

There are some reports though of collimation problems with some pairs - worth getting them from a "respectable" outlet so you can change them if there's a problem.....

Chris