Narrowband

My latest M42

HotBlack

This subject seems to be pretty popular around here. I first came onto this forum with last years' version using 30 second subs with a Canon 300D DLSR through a SkyWatcher ST80. Well, I've upgraded to a WO Megrez 80II FD, still with the Canon, and the results are much better.

This is produced from subs taken over two nights last week, 5th Jan and 7th Jan.

All subs taken with the Canon 300D (unmodified) at ISO800, through the WO Megrez 80II FD. 10 subs at 5 secs to hold the Trapezium, 10 subs at 30 secs for the core, 10 subs at 60 secs and 10 subs at 120 secs for the outer nubulosity.

DeepSkyStacker was used to stack each set of exposures into a separate file using dark frames to calibrate.

Each resulting frame was processed in Photoshop CS2 using techniques learnt from Jerry Lodriguss, flatten, set white point, set black point, set the sky background and use curves and levels to bring up the midtones. Then de-noised using Noise Ninja and sharpened.

Then the individual frames were stacked on top of each other using layers, registered and rotated by hand. Finally some tweaks with Noel Carboni's actions and some colour balance work, cropped and....

...here's the result.

:D

Chris

post-13341-133877335915_thumb.jpg

Archived