sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Bright and Gaudy Rosette

Tim

My final image of 2013 was the Rosette Nebula, NGC 2239, imaged in Hydrogen alpha and Oxygen III. Half hour exposures, around 10 for each filter. With just two colours to go on it's not easy to choose a colour scheme, and I seem to be going through some kind of expressionism stage with these bright and gaudy renditions....  Hope you like it.
Skywatcher 150ED and Atik 11000, Baader filters.

get.jpg

• Like 21

Very nice Tim.

I believe you are a fan of the very long sub. What your record so far?

Happy new year

Paul

3 hours Paul, with a Ha filter. There is a cutoff point when nothing much extra seems to be gained after 2 hours. Just haven't had good enough skies this year to do anything really long, and I've had new scope, camera and mount to get to grips with. The biggest improvement from longer subs is evident in the darker regions of the hydrogen emission nebulae.

Cheers

Tim

Oooh Oooh Oooh...

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,

But not expressed in fancy: rich, not gaudy

For the apparel oft proclaims the man...

Polonius to Laertes in Hamlet. This is rich but not at all gaudy. In fact it's pretty damned splendid.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments :)

In answer, most of the noise is dealt with in the preprocessing, I dislike using NR and avoid it if possible, Good data and lots of it is the best fix for noise :)

• Like 1