Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Mod?

I've spent hours this evening working out what modded DSLR's are all about and advantages over non-modded DSLR's.

Basically my question is, how much would I expect to pay for a modification of a Canon DSLR?

I know the advantages of the CCD route, but I can't afford one, and I already have a Canon 500d that can be modded.

Also, what modification do I need? I've seen there are several different mods that can be done. Can someone give me a break down of what options there are and what I need?

Many thanks! And Happy New Year!  :glasses9:

Thaats great thanks!

I didnt realise it costs so much to jave someone remove a part and replace it.. £200 for my camera. May as well just get a cheap ccd and play with that hadnt I??

Looking for a cheap ccd though, are the QHY5-II or QHY5L-II cameras any good for deep sky or only planetry and guiding?

Ah thats more like it! Thanks!

So options are to buy one of his modded cameras, or to send mine off.

Am i right in thinking that if i want to use my camera for terrestrial and astro then i need the baader filter, but if i buy one from him and use it ONLY for astro then i dont need the filter?

Ah thats more like it! Thanks!

So options are to buy one of his modded cameras, or to send mine off.

Am i right in thinking that if i want to use my camera for terrestrial and astro then i need the baader filter, but if i buy one from him and use it ONLY for astro then i dont need the filter?

If the camera has the two filters fitted then you only have one removed the other is left in to give some IR blocking, if the camera is going to be purely for astro work , then don't bother with the filter replacement, that would only help with the autofocus for terrestrial use.

The bader replacement is not really needed for your camera, just the removal of the first filter.

Hope that makes sense and helps

And happy new year

MM

Ok I think I get it. So if I was to buy one from Cheap Astrophotography, then i'd need one without the baader filter. But if I send mine off to get it modded, and want it to be usable for every day terrestrial work, then I need the baader filter fitted. Right?

I think I may just buy a new camera that's been modded, because I use mine for macro work as well as wildlife shots.

Ok I think I get it. So if I was to buy one from Cheap Astrophotography, then i'd need one without the baader filter. But if I send mine off to get it modded, and want it to be usable for every day terrestrial work, then I need the baader filter fitted. Right?

I think I may just buy a new camera that's been modded, because I use mine for macro work as well as wildlife shots.

If in any doubt dont mod unless you are absolutley sure it will never get used in the daytime even if you replace the original IR filter the chances are the camera white balance will need recalibrating. 

Alan

Juan does offer modified cameras with adjusted white balance so that you can use auto white balance as normal and the results on his website look very good. I haven't got one of his cameras but they are very tempting I must admit.

I can not recommend Juan's services highly enough, he is very professional and honest. If you opt for the Baader mod the camera can also be used for daytime photography, I think that it costs about £135.00 for this mod . I myself use CCDs these days but a modded DSLR is the most cost effective way of getting into DSO imaging.

Regards,

A.G

Hi

Another recommendation for cheapastrophotography.

Got a modified 1100D from Juan and excellent service.

I thought about getting my 40D modified ( even contemplated doing the mod myself)

In the end I decided against it.

I now get some excellent results compared to my previous attempts with 40D

Neil

if you buy a moded camera (even if it's a new one) - are you basically left without any real warranty?

Is it possible to achieve similar results using an unmodified camera by using filters and longer exposures (and probably more post processing) - or will a moded camera be able to capture detail/colour that a non modified camera never will regardless of how much time and filters you throw at it?

If you get a modded camera you will void your manufacturer's warranty (I believe the exception is the Canon 60Da which is factory modded by Canon themselves, but costs a lot more than the standard 60D). You might be able to get a warranty from the company that does the modding, but I expect that it will only warranty the mod work itself, not any other part of the camera.

In theory yes, standard DSLRs do let in some light at the far end of the spectrum (Ha), however as this chart (from http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/imaging/dslr/dslr.htm), shows, an unmodded 40D will have a QE for Ha of about 8%, a modded one about 24%, and a dedicated Astronomy CCD about 65%. So in theory if you take subs 3 times (or would it be 3^2=9 times?) as long with an unmodded DSLR you could get the same response as with a modded DSLR.

QE-CCD.GIF

• 4 months later...

Archived