Direct Mount Baader 2" Click Lock Diagnonal on 8SE

Hi there, just contemplating moving up to a 2" diagonal on my 8SE (on stock mount for the moment) and have come across a couple of options I think are still valid for the 8SE

• Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal
  • Baader Click-Lock 2" visual back

So the visual back screws onto the rear of the OTA and into that the diagonal is secured right? Draw back is it increases the likelihood of the diagonal/EPs catching on the base when slewing towards the zenith?

However I have read of a method for direct mounting the Baader Diagonal to the back of an 8SE at the following site : http://agenaastro.com/how-to-attach-baader-diagonal-to-sct.html

Basically it seems to be achieved by :

• Unscrewing the nose piece from the diagonal
  • Removing the 2" EP holder
  • Screwing on Baader SCT lock ring to the male thread on OTA
  • Screwing diagonal onto the remaining thread
  • Getting diagonal at 12 oclock position
  • Backing off lock ring and pinching the diagonal, keeping it securely in place

Pros for this method being more clearance? Does it actually keep the focal length as near as possible to f/10?

Drawback is it is semi permanent apparently, removing the diagonal would require removing the eyepiece holder each time.

I was just wondering if anyone has looked into this method and if anyone has any views, is it worth the hassle? Should I simply just buy the adapter and diagonal?

Many thanks.

A few thoughts on this:

Why would you be removing the diagonal once it is fitted?

Do you intend to use binoviewers?

Will you need to use the diagonal in another scope alternately?

Have you measured the clearance between the SCT thread and the fork mount?

I am about to fit my Mewlon with the 2" ClickLock adapter and the 2" ClickLock Diagonal, they are beautifully made.

I have the ClickLock Solar Prism Diagonal which will then stay 'permanently' on my TSA120.

The ClickLock is 47mm high.

I use a click lock clamp on my ED120, it totally transforms the focuser after those nasty synta thumb screws. Dead easy to to fit too, just screw the old fitting off and screw the baader clamp in place. The clamps holds diagonals in a death like grips with just a small turn. Genuinely worth doing, a great up grade for any scope for 40 quidish.

Cheers for the thoughts, I think the clearance for the 8SE would be a big bonus with the direct mount. I think I may have to invest, and after seeing the click lock, I think it's awesome! Plus I may dabble with bino viewers at some point so more clearance the better and I want a good solid diagonal/visual back.

Archived