Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Disappointed

Daniel-K

Im pretty disappointed, ive been looking forward to these hours of clear sky that had been predicted for tonight. i was all excited as theres no moon up either but yet im still sat indoors because the conditions are  S*&T. i set up before dark with the sky looking good and within half an hour the conditions deteriorated quickly. dont get me wrong its still good enough for bright objects but i like the faint fuzzy's and you cant see them in poor conditions.so i the highlight of my short session was the blue snowball which looked more green than blue  :confused:. so i have still not had my 14" Dob out under any above average conditions, and with all my time off over x-mas spent doing the new house up im finding it hard to get out so this has just peeeed me off!

RANT OVER feel better now

Dan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the same problem yesterday, set up my portable rig in the garden in daylight ready for a practice run, clouded over after an hour, looked out earlier today, cloudy so didn't bother, just looked out and it's clear  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Got a bottle of 10 year malt unopened so may take that advice :)

Dave

I had set up in daylight too, luckily it's been clear (partly cloudy at times) since 6pm but it just started clouding over around 8pm so called it a night after looking at Jupiter, Orion and Andromeda. The clouds are really P'ing me off lately, as are the neighbours switching all their lights on at all hours! I noticed that the clouds kept coming as soon as Jupiter was in view after waiting for it to appear from behind the houses.

I might go back out in an hour or so to see what the clouds are doing... I'm not very hopeful though.

Hopefully we'll all get better viewing conditions soon. I feel your pain. I hate clouds, neighbours and light pollution, with a passion.

This really is a bad spell of weather(Whats new).You just don't know what to do.You gaze at the forecasts,which you take as gospel,and try to plan accordingly.

For imagers its a nightmare.

I often find myself rushing to set up,making mistakes,cos I know its going to cloud over at somepoint.Then I get going,then bang clouds.

I cant see any change on the horizon.

What to do,what to do!!!!!!!!!!

Could have got set up in daylight today and due to be clear until around 11pm.

So of course I have been working since 8am and just got in an hour ago. More of the same tomorrow so the dob's staying in tonight :huh:

Forecast for here changed from cloudy to clear until midnight a couple of hours ago.  About 8pm it was clear, but the seeing was obviously awful.  I've just been out to check again and there is total cloud cover.

James

Managed to get 2 hours before I had to go in. Quite windy but also goto was miles out due to I suspect a low charged power pack. That said, had some fantastic views of orion neb and also managed to get some nebulosity out of pleiades due to combined height of object and use iof a filter, quite chuffed with the latter. Bit miffed about the goto but objects were easy to find without anywy

Hah!  The forecast has now changed again to "overcast".  I reckon the reason the Met Office moved to Exeter was so they could look out of the window and see the weather coming before it got to most people.

James

i did manage to take a  picture of the beautiful scope with the homemade shroud, probably the last time it will be set up before we move, my obsy has been transported round to the new house and is being used as shed for the time being till we are settled.

i did manage to take a  picture of the beautiful scope with the homemade shroud, probably the last time it will be set up before we move, my obsy has been transported round to the new house and is being used as shed for the time being till we are settled.wow that pictures bad!!

post-6284-0-31251300-1388444870_thumb.jp

I managed a few of hours using my new Astrotrac & Astronomik CLS XL clip filter at Warrington, Cheshire. At 6pm there were quite a few small clouds knocking about. Then the clouds dissipated but there was still a bit of haze.

I did M45 which was nice & high and then M42 which was lower down in the light polluted soup.

Unfortunately the clouds rolled in at 11pm, so I didn't get the chance to take some short exposures of M42's trapezium area.

Still, it was great fun to be outside. It wasn't too cold either, so I sat in my back garden with the camera clicking away, listening to the local owl hooting, while I looked around with some binoculars.

All in all, a really enjoyable evening given the weather we've had recently and hopefully my photos will be OK when I process them tomorrow.

Have just finished imaging tonight as some high cloud has finally come in and dew to boot. I'm really pleased though as I managed to get 4 clear hours, first time in awhile though as if it's not been cloudy it's been windy. 

For the first time I managed to get my webcam setup with the Polar Scope so I don't have to break my back and neck getting Polaris aligned. I must be getting better at alignment as I was able to push from 60 sec exposure to 80 sec without Star trails - all in all a good night and very chuffed.  :rolleyes:

I had it all planned. A trip round Orion, esp the doubles, but by the time it cleared my horizon cloud had rolled in from the West. Thank goodness for Jupiter. Managed ten mins or so although seeing was not brilliant before there was 100% cloud cover and the first few spots of rain.

Trying to put something positive on it, just setting up, playing around even for just a few minutes, and packing up, is all practice and helps getting familiar with the gear:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Archived