Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How much does a basic obsy cost?

emadmoussa

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends how you want to go about it but you can buy a basic shed kit relatively cheaply as a starting point.

Here are some that I found http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-sheds/8x6-sheds/ but you can get different types for less too. You would just need to figure a way to make the roof easily removable.

I have thought about it before and would prefer to build one from scratch maybe using some green materials/methods but I decided since this would be something for a few years down the track to not get carried away but a cheap little kit shed could be a interim solution.

I'm sure you'd get some idea from the Observatory Builder threads here? :)

Build your own... Whatever, must be the cheapest way to go.

With no GREAT woodwork skills, I went for a (now defunct?) Alexanders Observatory.

Super Thing! So definitely a Pre-build for me! Can't remember how much it cost now?

But frankly, I have been sufficiently occupied (for years now! lol.) with fitting it out... :p

Since of recent interest (re. SHED modifications) think a bit about structural integrity?

Basic sheds rely a lot on a fixed roof as part of the structure. It's Windy again today!  :eek:

Not cheap I expect, but if you feel that your DIY skills are not up to it, it's another alternative.

Jogged my memory - A feeling my (10' x 6') pre-built was about £1500? Probably reasonable? ;)

The (now anecdotal) six month wait re. my supplier was very frustrating though... 

Why is an observatory so expensive - because it's worth it!

I've only had mine a few weeks and still have the finishing touches to put to it, but I've used it already on days when I just wouldn't have bothered before because the clouds were due to return in a few hours. And it's so pleasantly quick to start up and close down.

And if you have access, get readymix concrete delivered to the spot. If you don't have access, get readymix concrete delivered to the driveway and pay 3-4 likely lads with wheelbarrows £100 cash between for half an hours work to barrow it. Mixing it yourself and moving it costs just as much as readymix and is backbreaking work taking all day.

The supplier-built ones looks like they're coming in at around £1,500 which sounds about right considering you'll be paying for labour to construct and install them.  However, you should also bear in mind what this price does not include such as: foundations for both the observatory and pier; electrics; internal lining and insulation (if you'll be including a warm room); any landscaping around the observatory; etc. etc..  All these 'extras' will soon tot up the overall cost.

I think my final cost came to nearly £3K all in - this was for a 4.8m*2.4m observatory split 50-50 between scope room and warm room.

Yes, these costs seem about right to me.  £1500 is a pretty fair price for the observatory shell with roll off roof - there's a lot of work involved.   I haven't added it up but I think mine came to more than that for materials alone but admittedly mine is far from basic.  I sourced the cheapest materials I could find and did nearly all the work myself so there were no labour costs.  Also, I made use of some recovered timber that I got for a song at a local auction.

Some people have managed to cut the cost right down but I think they have pretty good DIY skills.  There are numerous self-builds in this forum as well as bought-in ones but not everyone has costed their build - in fact very few have and I plead guilty to not doing that.  The reason is obvious really - there are thousands of parts in the construction.

I suppose it's a matter of waiting for me until I have moved in. I'll see how the back garden is and how much of the sky is visible at one point and based on that I will make my decision.

Having said that, my aim will be a basic roll off roof with a - perhaps - AZ EQ6 mount. But this will probably be added over time when finances allow. And since I'm going for a mortgage at the moment, these plans will need to be be put on hold for few months until everything has settled down.

Bear in mind I'll be mainly a visual observing station with the possibility left open for AP in the future...

I think if you are looking to save costs or just want something different then it would be worth looking into and earthbag or cob house style build. Both methods are really simple to build and depending on your location you may be even able to source most of the material from your own land. Even if you had to get a heap of dirt in it'd still be really cheap. I could easily see it costing under 300 quid for the bulk of the  materials  and construction which you can very easily do yourself and then the main costs would be the concrete floor, roof and getting power to it.

I would even consider a cordwood style if you can get the wood(or stone or bottles on the cheap) as they look like very pretty structures when done right.

All solar and wind powered to if I had my way.

This is my future vision at least but like you I can't do it here so it'll have to wait until we move or possibly even until after that, mind you I'd feel much happier to leave a structure that cost a couple hundred quid on a rented property than a full blown obs..

An obsy can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. Anywhere from several hundred to several thousands.

I think I priced one of my designs at around £1500 (excluding any contingency) but this was over a year ago and on a design I wasn't completely happy with. As I don't own my own place yet I've stopped the designs for now.

I haven't even built one. But judging by other posts, I am thinking about 1.5-2k upwards.

If you want something decent then this price range is about right, my 12 x 8 obsy with 8 x 4 warm room has been quoted at £1985 mainly because I have added extras to it to save expense later: -

Fully insulated warm room

Double sided ROR roof track so the wind does not lift the roof off.

Windows on warm room & inbetween warm & observing room.

Cable trunking & conduits built in.

Protection against vermin & nesting birds.

Ventilation.

Fixings for shelving & desk.

Secure locks on doors & roof.

But there is some good cheap obsy's on here which would do the job, though I think that it is all about getting more observing time & protection from the elements for myself & my equipment.

I would say take your time as building an obsy cannot be rushed.

Finally - concete mixer or readymix, any other way of concreting is backbreaking & time consuming.

I paid about 500 quid out for my obsy and it as a slide of fibre glass roof custom made runner ect works a treat you can spend as much or as little As you want just remember these cheap shed flat packed delivered are rubbish my mate Martin did this and the wood is so thin

Pat

I totally agree that it can be as cheap (my kinda level.- see starzend obsy build post. Probably around £400 in total.), to skies the limit - or bank funds limit.!!!!

If you wanted something pre built, I see this item No on fleabay  321100686919

This offers a 7'x7' RoR obsy.

Just a thought for ya!!

Best wishes,

Les 

Imad,

Mine is quite modest at 6x6' and although I got mine pre built/loved, I reckon around 650 to do this from scratch including a fabricated steel pier. A warm room would probably add another 300.

Mine also cost a hernia (site prep) - wish I'd paid someone to do this bit and digging/pouring the slab ;)

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Imad,

Mine is quite modest at 6x6' and although I got mine pre built/loved, I reckon around 650 to do this from scratch including a fabricated steel pier. A warm room would probably add another 300.

Mine also cost a hernia (site prep) - wish I'd paid someone to do this bit and digging/pouring the slab ;)

I'll be mostly using the obsy for visual observation and perhaps a bit of spectroscopy - so not worried about t a warm room. Did you build yours second hand, Jake?

I'll be mostly using the obsy for visual observation and perhaps a bit of spectroscopy - so not worried about t a warm room. Did you build yours second hand, Jake?

Imad, yes mine is Bizibilder's old obs. My total cost, including slab, collection, build and pier was circa 450 - and worth every penny ;)

I've decided that when I win the lottery I'm going to buy my neighbours' house (the other half of my semi) and turn her conservatory into a observatory. That way I can sit in my conservatory (nice and warm) and operate everything from here. Of course the other rooms would come in handy for people staying over for star parties etc.  :rolleyes:

Archived