SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SX EFW + 1.25" Mounted Astrodon 5nm Ha Filter = Fouling?

Hoping someone is using this combo as I'm a little worried about connecting to the PC before I sort this out ...

I've just put my new filter in the FW and given it a quick spin around by hand ... problem is when the filter gets to the bottom of the wheel (where the PCB is) there's just a hint of fouling (scraping sound)

Needless to say I stopped at this point and hope someone is using this combination and can tell me it's all going to be OK when I screw the back plate on and hook it up to the computer :)

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

In case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I got to the bottom of it :) I might have been a little over cautious in my first test :o

It appears that without the backplate on the filter wheel, the carousel is able to teeter ever so slightly ... once the backplate was on and screwed down the wheel spins freely without any fouling noises :)

Funnily enough mine does this as well - but only when the backplate is on! It has worked ok despite this for two years. The other week, after not being used for many months (waiting for the observatory to be constructed) it sounded worse and seemed to be slipping, so I opened it up and noticed the same as you. It's the very edge of the wheel that makes contact with the motor mounting, not the filters/PCB, so nothing to get damaged. Mine made contact when the #3 filter slot passed the opening.

I mentioned it on the SX group and then had an email conversation with Terry on New Year's Day (always excellent service from SX). He told me to loosen the screws and move the motor assembly back as much as possible. It could do with going back a mm further, but that's not possible without drilling the stainless steel plate holes a bit bigger. I still get the noise, but it all works again. Terry told me if it all works, not to worry - so I won't. I trust that if it ever breaks they will help me sort it out.

Archived