SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus was good

Scooot

It was the first time I'd made a concerted effort to look at Venus, usually it was a rushed affair, putting my scope out because it suddenly appeared n the sky. This time I put it out about 3pm in broad daylight.

This was a good move, I eventually found it in daylight with the sun barely below the horizon.

I found it first with the bins as it was too light to see with the naked eye, at an altidude of about 15° I watched it for about 40 mins with the platform. It was a fairly thin lovely crescent against a light blue background at first. The crescent looked as if it was on fire. As it set the fire became more vigorous, towards the end, at maybe 10°,there were what looked like occassional explosions that enveloped the whole of the dark side of the planet. No doubt due to the thicker atmosphere I was looking through. It was quite a sight.

I must admit I'm not a Venus fan but I found this 40 mins or so quite mesmerising.

I don't think I have even looked at Venus since i started, I think this is because it doesn't show very much compared to Saturn, Jupiter and our moon but after reading your report I think its time to take another look, thanks Richard. :)

Hi again Richard.  I too was observing the thin crescent Venus yesterday mid afternoon, at 14.30.

The phase was easily seen with my 10 x 50 bins, my 8 x 30s also.

Best view was with my 70mm refractor, at 18x, 34x & 60x, although the seeing was poor as you noted, nicest view was at 34x, the sharp points of the crescent 'horns' well seen.

I used my shed to block the Sun from entering my field of view.

Regards, Ed.

Hi again Richard.  I too was observing the thin crescent Venus yesterday mid afternoon, at 14.30.

The phase was easily seen with my 10 x 50 bins, my 8 x 30s also.

Best view was with my 70mm refractor, at 18x, 34x & 60x, although the seeing was poor as you noted, nicest view was at 34x, the sharp points of the crescent 'horns' well seen.

I used my shed to block the Sun from entering my field of view.

Regards, Ed.

Hi Ed

I started looking at 69x when it was much sharper as you say. but spent most of the time at 120x which produced the fire effect that of course was just bad seeing. It was still a good crescent and the effect was on the outer edge, it looked like strong winds were trying to blow burning gases around the planet. Good idea about the shed btw. If i'd started looking around 4.30 when i stopped I would have packed up quite quickly. It was only because I was looking over prolonged period that started when the seeing was better and I could watch it deteriorate that made the session interesting.

I saw Venus for the first time late this afternoon almost by accident when I let the dog out. Grabbed the bins and got enough of a view to work out what I was seeing so I grabbed my 60mm grab and go Frac for a better look. It was very low and soon dropped behind my neighbours trees but I'm chuffed to bits that I got it.

My daughter was blessed with seeing Venus on xmas day with her new scope, it was the first planet she saw and we both enjoyed the spectacle and was given the chance on several occasions following to view it.

My daughter was blessed with seeing Venus on xmas day with her new scope, it was the first planet she saw and we both enjoyed the spectacle and was given the chance on several occasions following to view it.

Just had a look at your daughters blog and very impressed to how well she's (or you both) are doing with the Lunar 100. I see you've already picked off some of the hardest ones, what a great start!! :)

Archived