Which 20mm eyepieces for Binoviewing ?

dweller25

Now I have a pair of 18mm Fujiyama Orthos for my Binoviewers giving x170 I am looking for something around the x150 mark. I wear glasses during Planetary observing so good eye relief is important.

I am considering a pair of Televue 20mm Plossls or Vixen 20mm NLV's.

Does any one have experience of these two eyepieces - pro and cons ??

Any other good alternatives around the £100 mark??

hi David

I have a 20mm TVP and it's excellent as you'd expect. coincidentally I normally wear contacts but have my glasses on today as I have a red eye. having just tried the 20mm I see about the same kind of field as an ortho so not the whole field, with my glasses on. not sure if this helps really!

I have a pair of 15 mm NLVs for my WO binoviewers. Optically they are top notch but are quite wide at the top. I can get my nose in between but they don't feel as comfortable as my other pairs. They have good eye relief but a relatively narrow (50 deg). FOV. I would be tempted to try a pair first if you can. Personally, I prefer narrower EPs with rubber eye cups. I use the 20 mm eyepieces that came with the binoviewers and they are very good in my OTA. A pair of 20 mm TV plossls might be worth considering. Again, try before you buy if you can.

It might be worth also considering the Skywatcher Ultrawides, which are only about £30 each and the WO SWANs, which are around the £60 mark. If the WO SWANs are optically similar to the ones that come with the binoviewers, they should be good in slower OTAs.

I think at 20mm a Plössl should be fine for eye relief. Though the TV doesn't give more than twice the performance of something like a Vixen for £50 more!

If I was paying that kind of money I'd step up to the NLV. The eye relief is better and the tops are more comfortable - they fit my eye sockets perfectly. They are also about 20mm apart, so no problems size wise.

Mark, Michael, Jules - thanks for your input.

As it stands.....

Revelation  - 22mm ER - £24

SW U/wide  - 18mm ER - £33 ** variable reports on this range

Vixen NPL   - 15mm ER - £35

WO Swan   - 17mm ER - £60 ** although as report on CN states ER is just 10mm !

TV Plossls  - 14mm ER - £85

Vixen NVL   - 20mm ER - £115

Thinking .......

Archived