Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

After a bit of advice on Barlows please.

Thinking of getting one to replace the Skywatcher 2x I have which is "okay" but I wonder if I can get better?

I have got a fairly decent image of Saturn and Jupiter with it, using an Xbox cam.

Was lucky enough to receive an ASI120MM for Christmas (am over the moon) which I will be using for guiding with my ED80/ST80 but want to try a bit of planetary with it with my 200P (as I did the Xbox cam).

Looking at 2nd hand barlows I wonder which one to get to assist at all with this set up. Lots of different ones out there.

Any advice please for use with 200P?

Thanks, Bob

I can't compare them but I do have a Revelation 2.5x which gives very good results and also has good reviews all over the place.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but for planetary imaging I think that after aperture, focal length is what counts. therefore stacking both the current barlow and a 2x or 2.5x barlow might be a good thing. otherwise, maybe a 5x powermate? the imagers can possibly provide more info in this?

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By WiltsStarGazer
      Hi,
      having started with a 130P on an eq mount.I wanted something with more light gathering on a alt-azimuth mount. I didn't want to go down the Dob route although that would have been a lot easier and cheaper.🙄
      So I have now got a 200P on a Skytee on a Manfrotto tripod.
      My question is why do all the pictures I have seen of this set up have the scope side mount rather than the top mount.
      Is it just a question of weight if you also add counterweights under the top mount? I understand the recommended max weight is 10kg per mount although some places say 15kg.
      As it is a lot easier to mount the scope on the top mount than the side one (I nearly dropped it on the first attempt) and it seems counterintuitive to have the weight of the scope hanging off the side mount instead of sitting on top of the top one.
      Thanks.

• By chrispancho
      Hello,
      I wanted to reach out to everyone here for some advice. I currently have a Tele Vue Nagler 4 17mm, viewing on a Celestron Nexstar 8SE, and am interested in an EP with a longer focal length. I really like the 82 degree AFOV, so I was immediately eyeballing the Nagler 4 22mm or Nagler 5 31mm. And this is where my problem is... which one do I choose if money isn’t a factor?  I have reviewed the specs between the two, but without trying them out, I can’t visualize which would work out the best.  Is going 31mm too much of a leap from 17mm?
      Thanks All!
    • By Corpze
      Hi, i have made a video where i show a coople of eyepieces that i use and like, and also show how a barlow works, compared to the "Powermate" from Televue. And how is the FOV affected when changing the magnification with different eyepieces?

Feel free to comment and give me feedback - I hope you like the video!
      /Daniel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.