Yet another christmas noob =)

Sean L

Hi im Sean from Hertfordshire and after many years iv made the leap and got my first scope for Christmas (wahoooo!)

I got the Skywatcher BK1309eq2, and used it last night for the first time in my back garden. I setup the red dot finder during the day and as soon as it got dark i was able to view Jupiter and four moons within minutes.  I used the 'super 25' eye piece with the 2x Barlow and it was stunning! i was able to see it much clearer than I was expecting and could even see at least 2 red bands although it was very small in the eyepiece.  

I tried taking a photo on my phone camera ( the only camera i have at the moment ) which came out awful as can be expected as i couldn't keep it still enough so I guess my next move is to but a camera.  Im going to borrow my friends Cannon camera but have no idea what i need to attach it to the scope.  It would be great if someone could point me in the direction of what i need that would work with my scope and a Cannon camera. post-34063-0-60341100-1388247430_thumb.j

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Sean - We're a friendly bunch so will certainly help if we can.

Mmm, taking pictures - Maybe get to grips with visual stuff first and find your way around the scope. It will pay dividends in the long run. Unfortunately imaging isn't simple as you have already discovered.

I'm not familiar with your scope, but normally if using a DSLR you can attach to the scope with a T thread adapter and attach the other end to the focuser.

Hi Sean, I agree with Sara. Have fun just finding and looking at objects first. It is so easy to get caught up in imaging and never really 'seeing' the things that you image.

Probably the easiest way to connect an SLR to your scope is by fitting a T ring adaptor to the camera like this one. Then screwing a 1.25" nose piece into the T ring adaptor.

Welcome to SGL by the way and to a great new hobby.

Clear skies!

Hi Sean. Another new 'un here. Welcome to SGL.

I spent an age reading stuff before plumbing for my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p and what I could gather re: astrophotography was it's quite a faff and expensive

Here's an article on AP on a budget.http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/astrophotography-on-budget/

I haven't tried any of it, and I dare say a few folk here might disagree, but it's there and it's quite interesting!

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hmmm....half my post vanished into the cyber-ether!

...anyway the gist was...

Here's an article on AP on a budget

http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/astrophotography-on-budget/

Not tried it myself, and I dare say some folk here might dispute it, but it's there and it's an interesting read!

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. It is very tempting to think that all you need do is to attach a camera to a scope in order to obtain great pictures but I'm afraid it's a little bit more involved than that. My only suggestion to you at the moment is to get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count". This book will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the different types of imaging that you can do and importantly, what kit you will need to produce good consistent images of different types of objects. A quick look at the equipment signatures of members who post in the imaging sections will quickly provide you with a consensus of what kit seems to work best. Imaging doesn't have to be expensive but it is important to have a grasp of what could be involved before buying any new kit and to that end reading the above book might well indeed save you some money.

Clear skies 

James

Thanks everybody for your warm welcomes and advice its all being taken on board!  Last night I spent my time just viewing and getting used to how everything works.  Started off again with Jupiter, which again was amazing although one of the moons was hiding and then moved on to M42 which took a little while to find as it wasnt perfectly clear and i wasnt 100% of where to aim for but eventually found it.  Does anyone have any recommendations of things that they particularly enjoyed viewing when they first started off? Thanks guys! 

One of the best books for new people starting out is "Turn Left At Orion". It lists some 100 objects which are then divided into the four seasons of the year, all of which can be viewed with modest equipment. The book contains a lot of interesting information on each object along with written and pictorial guides on how to find each one. If you want some idea of its layout, you might want to take a look here to get a flavour of its contents and layout. Hope that helps.

Clear skies 

James

Hi sean, welcome to the forum.

I agree with the other posters that astrophotography is ambit of a challenge and the kit you need for good photos can be expensive.

Like you though I see no harm in having a go with whatever you have handy and with in a few days of getting the scope youve managed to photograph Jupiter with 4 of its moons and shared it online.

I personally dont do any astrophotograpy anymore apart from with a smart phone now and then, but 25 years ago I used to dabble with wet astrophotography - doing wide field photos with a manually driven, homemade scotch mount. Now if id managed to photograph 4 moons of jupiter id have been well chuffed so well done ..... and if you take a shot that looks rubbish theres always the delete button.

I used to spend all night preciously using a 27frame film, only to find after messing on push procesing the dam thing that none of them had the correct focus ....so well done on getting something thats at least recognisable.

Cheers

Hi Sean, I was pretty much in the same position as you when i got my scope. The wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing, especially if you want to get into the astro photography side of things and definitely pick up a copy of making every photon count.

Archived