Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

piprees

Apt and mirror lockup

Hi,

just wondering if anybody uses the Apt programme that came with Sky at night magazine some time ago. I can't seem to get the mirror lock up to work with a fairly typical 20x2 minute exposure plan or any sort of plan come to that. Does anybody know how it works. I've got it "enabled" on the camera, (canon 40D), and the actual exposures work just fine. Maybe mirror lockup isn't so important with exposures of 2 minutes or more.

Any help or advise is more than welcome.

Many thanks.

P

Are you using the latest version? I use a 2 second delay in the anti-vibration settings with mirror lockup enabled on the camera and thats all there is too it. It does say there in small lettering may require a serial cable or a dsusb cable depending on the model of camera used. Not sure about your model. I am using a 5Dmkiii. You might want to ask Ivo the programmer over at the APT yahoo group.

Hello P,

EOS 40D requires a serial cable in order to get true/native mirror lock. It is limitation of the Digic III processor. The later generations can deal it only with the USB cable...

Also, you are absolutely right :) Any exposure longer than minute or two will not get any benefit from the mirror locking, because the stars become bigger than the tracks made from the mirror move :)