SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Basic telescope, worth adding a 2.5x barlow?

crimpshrine

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice.

I recently got a basic Skywatcher 1309 EQ 2 with Celestron X Cel 7mm & 25mm EP's. Is it worth me adding something like a Revelation (GSO) 2.5 barlow lens in the hope of seeing greater details in the planets or is a waste of money? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

It would be a waste of time barlowing the 7mm, the 25mm would take the barlow, difficult call

Agree entirely. I would be more inclined to get an 12mm X Cel LX and perhaps the 18mm.

Remember that any eyepieces you upgrade can always be used when you upgrade the scope too :).

Thanks for the speedy replies! I will continue to use what I have for a while longer in that case. I do have a 32mm Revelation for wider viewing on the way but got excited adding extras to my basket.

I was considering the 12/18mm Xcel at some stage but will wait a while and gauge better what I need.

Yes.. I have already started looking at better telescopes as well, so easy to get carried away after a nice clear night viewing!

Thanks for the speedy replies! I will continue to use what I have for a while longer in that case. I do have a 32mm Revelation for wider viewing on the way but got excited adding extras to my basket.

I was considering the 12/18mm Xcel at some stage but will wait a while and gauge better what I need.

Yes.. I have already started looking at better telescopes as well, so easy to get carried away after a nice clear night viewing!

It is so easy to get worried about how our kit isn't good enough, we don't take enough time to enjoy it most of the time...

What type of objects do you prefer viewing?

The best way to see more detail on the planets is to observe them for longer periods. It's amazing how your eye seems to train itself as you observe and the more subtle details start to emerge as you study the planet. I usually spend 60 minutes minimum on a single target, conditions allowing and have often spent a whole session on just Saturn or Jupiter.

Certainly for the star clusters and general "deep sky" world, I'd actually consider going the "other way"   :eek:   on eyepieces. A reasonably priced 40mm Plossl will bring rewards for this side of astronomy without breaking the bank.

Enjoy the new toy,

Regards,

Les

Thanks Les. I was thinking of the Barlow mainly for Jupiter use. I have the basic Barlow that came with the scope but don't think it is upto much optically. The more I view though I am finding that I see more detail with slightly lower magnification.

Could I use a 40mm on my scope successfully. I think someone mentioned elsewhere that it would be of little use to me as my scope is low magnification anyway?

Certainly for the star clusters and general "deep sky" world, I'd actually consider going the "other way"   :eek:   on eyepieces. A reasonably priced 40mm Plossl will bring rewards for this side of astronomy without breaking the bank.

Enjoy the new toy,

Regards,

Les

Agree, but there is no point in a 40mm plossl. A 32mm plossl has the same FOV and a darker sky background due to a smaller FL.

Thanks again Les. I did have a 34mm revelation on order but put it on hold.

I basically got a free swap on my 25mm XCEL to a 24MM MV, I then started looking at the MV range!

Would either the 34mm/28mm MV be worth adding? I have found when using the 25xcel I want to pull back a bit. Or should I just unfold the Rev?

Thank you YKSE. That has solved that problem for me and saved me some cash along the way! I have fully cancelled the Revelation also as (if my calculation are correct) it would offer me no advantage now I have the 24mm MV on the way.

All money saved will be put towards a scope upgrade I am sure!

Archived