Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I have recently bought a 6" refractor with a crayford focuser. How nice after 4 years of clunking rack and pinion! Unfortunately it s not quite that easy. At any angle steeper than about 30• the focuser slides down and the only way I can adjust it is by hand pushing. Haven't had the courage to take it apart without some much needed advice please!

The only screw I know is the one which locks it up solid! Trouble with buying secondhand you dont always get the instructions. I m looking up the site right now. Thank you lots.

Mine hant an adjuster. Blow it I m going to take it apart! There s something in favour of rack and pinions- they move up and down !

If all else fails try the rubber band "trick". Attach one end to a moving part, eyepiece or diagonal, and the other end to a fixed part on the OTA. With the right tension or number of bands the focuser will hold better and will be smoother.   :smiley:

Crayford adjustment can often be made by a small allen grub screw directly beneath the centre of the focuser drive axle. Hope this is understandable, it's not easy to describe!

There is an Allen key but its so tight I haven't been able to move it. Probably not an adjuster! I m taking apart. Ha ha ha! Doesn't look complicated really. Thanks fellas.

There is an Allen key but its so tight I haven't been able to move it. Probably not an adjuster! I m taking apart. Ha ha ha! Doesn't look complicated really. Thanks fellas.

Take care. Its easy to completely loose the "feel" of a crayford. Sometimes there's small O-rings under some screws- lose these or over-tighten the screws and the focuser goes horribly rough.

Maybe post a picture of the focuser first? Someone here might have an idea before you start ripping it apart.

Aha. Got it. It is a tesioning screw , with a counter screw it could be that tight. Cant send photos unfortunately. Only have iphone which isnt compatable with much!