Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crayford focuser

I have recently bought a 6" refractor with a crayford focuser. How nice after 4 years of clunking rack and pinion! Unfortunately it s not quite that easy. At any angle steeper than about 30• the focuser slides down and the only way I can adjust it is by hand pushing. Haven't had the courage to take it apart without some much needed advice please!

If all else fails try the rubber band "trick". Attach one end to a moving part, eyepiece or diagonal, and the other end to a fixed part on the OTA. With the right tension or number of bands the focuser will hold better and will be smoother.   :smiley:

There is an Allen key but its so tight I haven't been able to move it. Probably not an adjuster! I m taking apart. Ha ha ha! Doesn't look complicated really. Thanks fellas.

Take care. Its easy to completely loose the "feel" of a crayford. Sometimes there's small O-rings under some screws- lose these or over-tighten the screws and the focuser goes horribly rough.

Maybe post a picture of the focuser first? Someone here might have an idea before you start ripping it apart.

Archived