Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few new galaxies bagged

jetstream

Tonight,at the cabin the evening was really good,so I brought out the scope to the ice to observe.After a nice session with m42-found nebulosity where the running man is supposed to be-quite nice,over to M81,M82.These gave up great views tonight and I was anxious to go hunting again.Well I didn't have to try too hard,I panned around these 2 galaxies and caught 2 new ones close by.So any way,now ngc 3077,2976,2787 are confirmed and IC 2574(I think).I did see more bombing around out there,and once repeated I'll mark those on the list too.

Great night,SQM 21.4,transparency 4/5

Sounds like you had a good session, it's great when you

bag a few more targets from the list too, the viewing was

really good for you, not over here I'm afraid, high wind and

heavy rain, very envious of your location must be really good. 

Neat ! There's a few bright galaxies at this end of UMa including,

NGC 3184, the "Little Pinwheel"

NGC 2841

NGC 3079

NGC 2880

NGC 2768

And the bright NGC 2403,

Happy hunting !

Nick.

Thanks Nick!I just wrote those down for the next break in the clouds......praise be to cleardarksky.com!!

I like the idea of stumbling on the galaxies :smiley: It happens only on dark site and your are persistent.

Yong,that pretty much describes ALL my hunting!!LOL!Lots of fun,I'm glad I was able to get some new ones-I have been focused on observing detail for extended times on objects (thank you Qualia,its working).I can't really say a whole pile of skill here was used....2 of them were in the same field of view as either m81 or m82...... :grin: The dark sky is what allows seeing those smudges and smears as a guy is sky cruisin'-I love that!

I have been focused on observing detail for extended times on objects (thank you Qualia,its working).

Have you got O'Meara's-The Messier Objects? Even if you are not going through the Messier list its well worth getting because he gives so many tips on how to pick up faint details while observing, I've learnt more about DSO observing from that book than anywhere else!

The spring galaxies are just round the corner....Bring it on!!  :grin:

Good on ya, Jetstream, for those galaxies! M82 and M82 are always a treat. You got some good skies out there and getting good use of it!

+1 for those spring galaxies Mike and I've noticed their return to the early morning skies. I'm keen to have another bash at Markarians Chain again and hoping the 10x50's will help out.

Archived