Narrowband

processing DVD.. any good?

The_PSY3NTIST

Has anyone bought this tutorial dvd in the past, making every pixel count? Wondered if it was worth the money or not. I'm happy with my capture but Im lacking in processing skills. I know there is a wealth of information on here but the dvd seems to go from basics to advanced in one place and in order. Just wondering if it would be a good foundation?

http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/store/#!/~/product/category=5683795&id=24129943

Yeah I have that already :) it's a great book, just seen this DVD and thought it might be the next step as in its a walk through actual processing. I don't want to commit to buying if it is too basic. There is a topic list in the description, I just don't know if it covers that much.

David,

"Making Every Pixel Count" is actually a series of 4 DVD Turorials by Adam Block.  I have them all, and it is definately worth the price.  Adam Block (google his name) is one of the 2 or 3 top image processers in the world.  His DVD's are easy to follow, start from the simple, and go to the very complex.  Personnally I don't think there is a better indepth tutorial for photoshop processing then the Making Every Pixel Count series.

Jim

I used these when I was starting out. I thought they were great, though I haven't seen them in a long while. I'm sure you'll find them useful. Adam Block has moved on, unless they have been updated, but he has moved on from a pretty high position!

Useful tools, so useful that I would call them indispensable, are DBE and SCNR (green) in Pixinsight. The Adam Block tutorials are Photoshop, which remains my main processing software. However, the PI tools I mention are my starting point. Then I go into Ps and Adam Block territory.

I'd hit the button!

Olly

Hi,

The problem that I have found with processing Astro files is that every singlen capture is different to another, even the ones taken on the same night and in the same conditions require different processing. I have 2 main processing software packages, StarTools and Pixinsight. I have now just learnt the default routine for basic processing with either but to process the data efficiently a through understanding of the parameters in the modules or tools is mandatory. This unfortunately is seldom explained clearly and therefore experimentation is required as each data set requires different values of the parameters.  I have also found that most tutorials are image specific and although helpful initially in the long run are rather limited.

A.G

AG makes a good point in that all images are different. However, certain fundamental things apply without exception.

Images need to be stretched.

Different stretches do different jobs.

Black clipping removes data permanently.

Colours need to be balanced.

Gradients need to be removed.

Images should rarely be processed globally, different parts needing different processes. Most obvioulsy in terms of sharpening and noise reduction.

Photoshop and other tools need to be explained.

I found that Adam Block gave me a starting point. Many beginners simply have no idea where to start in Photoshop or Pixinsight.

Once you have an overview of the tools you can start to control the outcome of your pictures and give them the look or the style that you wish to present. This involves the fun of devising processing routines of your own, and then the whole business takes off.

One thing I'll pass on from helping beginners, though; they'll say, What do we do next? and assume I have a standard formula.  My answer is, I don't know, let's look at the picture and think about what it needs. And this comes back to AG's point. But first yo need the basics and Adam Block will supply many of them.

Olly

Thank you for the replies. Don't worry I'm under no illusion that there is a standard formula A.G. At your level it's very obvious that it's a fluid process teasing so much detail out. I've just come to realise a small part of producing astro images is the capture and a very large percentage of the final product is the processing skills which I am severely lacking :p hopefully Adams tutorials will give me a good starting point with a few key stages to get a basic workflow that I can build on :)

Cheers

Archived