Which 20mm?

emadmoussa

I had to let go of my Maxvision 20mm as I found the relief uncomfortable and not particularly user friendly. Some might find it good, but again it's always about personal preference. 

So I'm planning on plugging gap in my eyepiece collection in the coming 2 months.

Any suggestions for a wide field 20mm EP?

I was think of doing the same Imad, but changed my mind :smiley:

My current largest eyepiece step is from 17.3 -- 31mm, I am not sure how filling the gap would help me.

I will have to see what people recommend for you  :smiley:

Not exactly what you are looking for, but the 22mm Vixen LVW is brilliant.  

Sharp to the edge in fast scopes, 20mm eyerelief, not the widest apparent field at 65 degrees, but given all the plus points, a great eyepiece.

Regards, Ed.

Mm..I've got an ES 24mm, so 22mm will not be that different I'm afraid. The next one down is 14mm...so 18-20mm should do the trick.

I was thinking about the Explore Scientific 2" 18mm...but there are mixed feelings about this particular eyepiece.

Having said that, it's not that urgent as other eyepieces can do the job for the time being.  But at some point I will plug this gap :D

Mm..I've got an ES 24mm, so 22mm will not be that different I'm afraid. The next one down is 14mm...so 18-20mm should do the trick.

I was thinking about the Explore Scientific 2" 18mm...but there are mixed feelings about this particular eyepiece.

Having said that, it's not that urgent as other eyepieces can do the job for the time being.  But at some point I will plug this gap :D

Agreed, if you have a 24mm, not much point in a 22mm.  But if you do get a 20mm, that's also not too far from your 24mm.

I know what suits one person may not suit another, but I'd not need an in between eyepiece with your 14 & 24, matter of opinion of course  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

ES 18mm is a very good one, you might need though to assure that the eye relief is OK, it has 13mm ER, shorter than 20mm MV (16mm ER).

The Nagler T5 20mm is a brilliant, compact (for a 2") and addictive eyepiece but it's eye relief is rather tight and you say you don't like that. The ES 20 / 100 is a great eyepiece too though a lot heavier and bulkier than the Nagler 20mm. The actual eye relief on the ES 100's is a little less than the specs indicate because the eye lens is recessed into the eyepiece top a few mm.

IMHO the most comfortable ~20 mm ultra wide eyepiece is the 22mm T4 Nagler which give 17mm of eye relief. It's also one of the best performing too. 22mm does not fit your "gap" though.

Personally, I'm not sure you do have much of a "gap" between 14mm and 24mm with your faster focal ratio scopes if you do the maths , especially if the 14mm is a 100 degree one  :wink:

Humm...the Nagler seems like an option as second hand only. If I'm paying that much for an eyepiece I might as well get the ES 20mm 100-deg -- this will complete the 100-deg collection. :D

Wonder if you've answered your own question there then ? Make a nice set that .

( great spending peoples money for them ' lol. )

As mentioned above, I'd save my £'s for now, get the 14mm 100 and use it along side your 24mm and see if you really do feel you do have a need for a 20mm. If you have a few sessions where you miss having that focal length by all means fill it, but I'm not sure you will feel the need. Introducing 100 degree eyepieces to a set does strange things to the others and the dynamics of what and when you use things can change in my experience. 

Absolutely. There are no real plans for a 20mm eyepiece for a few months. I liked what the Maxvision 20mm provided optically, but like I said I didn't feel physically comfortable. I'm sure the focal length will come handy at some point, but I'll play a  bit with the ES 14mm. If it's like the ES 9mm 100-deg I already have...then this should be pretty sufficient.

ES 18mm is a very good one, you might need though to assure that the eye relief is OK, it has 13mm ER, shorter than 20mm MV (16mm ER).

While the stated eye relief is 13mm for a BST and shorter than the MV 16mm state eye relief, in practice the BST is very comfortable for glasses wearers. The 3 BSTs I own leave plenty to spare in combination with the twist cup adjustability, I believe the 18mm BST will be the same. I find the 20mm Maxvision quite tight, but doable. It is one of the strengths of the BST starguiders range, they are very easy on the eye and easy to use with or without glasses.

While the stated eye relief is 13mm for a BST and shorter than the MV 16mm state eye relief, in practice the BST is very comfortable for glasses wearers. The 3 BSTs I own leave plenty to spare in combination with the twist cup adjustability, I believe the 18mm BST will be the same. I find the 20mm Maxvision quite tight, but doable. It is one of the strengths of the BST starguiders range, they are very easy on the eye and easy to use with or without glasses.

Alex, I totally agree with you that BST's has better ER than 20mm MV. BST's ER is dlearly more than 13mm to me since I have the HR EPs with 16mm ER to compare with, also 18mm BCO with just shy of 15mm ER, also the other BST clones such as TS ED or Omegon ED all state 16mm ER therefore I tend to believe that 16mm ER for BST is more correct,

I had to let go of my Maxvision 20mm as I found the relief uncomfortable and not particularly user friendly. Some might find it good, but again it's always about personal preference. 

So I'm planning on plugging gap in my eyepiece collection in the coming 2 months.

Any suggestions for a wide field 20mm EP?

...thats easy. Get a  Pentax XW 20...very nice 70 FOV with 20mm ER for comfort viewing.

Archived