Some advice needed for 200p dob EP

Queeg

Hey Folks,

i just ordered myself a Skywatcher 200p dob. This is my first proper scope and i would like a bit of advice on eyepieces. I believe it comes with a 10mm + and 25mm, which from what i've read, are mediocre eyepieces. I am initially going to focus on planetary observation, so i would like a little advice on what EP is best for planetary viewing. i know the EP's that come with it are probably fine for a beginner, but i may as well get myself a better EP while i have the money. i'm not talkin wild cash here, just somethin about 80 quid or so max.

i should mention that i also have this celestron eyepieve kit

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/celestron-eyeopener-eyepiece-and-filter-kit.html

which a friend kindly gave me, are these any good does anyone know?

cheers,

Chris

Hi. As a recent purchaser of your scope I've got no complaints about the supplied EPs and have been pleasantly surprised by the exceptional views I've had so far. If I was you and considering the EP kit you also have I'd go for a RA finderscope first - its so much more comfortable and makes using the Scope more pleasurable

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If it's your first decent scope, I'd invest circa £30 on a Cheshire collimator.

Finessing collimation can extract some remarkable performance out of surprisingly vanilla eyepieces, especially on an F6 Dob which is kinder to eyepieces than average and easier to collimate t'boot.

I rushed to buy new EPs on my F5 200p, blaming the bundled EPs for poor views. Fast forward a couple of years and my F4.9 300p Dob came with the same EPs. I dropped them in the focuser for a laugh and was genuinely surprized with what I saw. Sure, the edges weren't too clever, but the middle was WAY better than I remembered. The EPs were the same and the scope an even tougher EP challenge, but the one thing that had improved out of all recognition from the early days, was my ability to collimate accurately.

Russell

I would be wary of the kit,but as stated good collimation will give best views with all eyepieces.How about a Baader Classic ortho or two?18mm & 10mm?A little tight on eyerelief,but if you don't wear glasses they should be allright.Ordering one myself.Lots of options though.I think the Baaders will be keepers,even down the road as you aquire more.

Thanks a lot guys. i had already ordered a collimator as my friend stressed to me how important this is.  i'm sure the EP's with it will be good. i just wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on an upgrade of say an 8mm.

Nice and motivational Gerry :) i've been interested in astronomy my whole life and i study physics in uni at the min, ive done quite a bit of stargazing before, just never got round to buying my own decent scope. I'm not looking to buy the best eyepiece out there, i just read that the eyepieces with the 200p are mediocre at best, well the 10mm is anyway. it's only £49 for that EP, don't you worry yourself if i stick at it or not :)  is the BST 8mm worth it or not?

I've heard a lot of good things about this BST Starguider 8mm, is it worth getting?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-8mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/161134743886

In which case that is a great choice.

Keep an eye on the classifieds and UK Astro Buy Sell as a great way of making money go further - The excellent little Starguiders are a common first step on the eyepiece slippery slope and come up for sale quite often. I think I had all of them at one point and the 12 & 15mm are particularly good (and useful) EPs to have as a next step.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Celestrons are not bad eyepieces as a rule, and as you say you were given them then even better. When Celestron gave out plossl's with scopes many people kept them, I have a few around and they are good enough not to give away.

Looking at the focal lengths they are reasonable for the scope as well.

Have you the f/5 or f/6 200P ?

The eye relief on the 6mm and 8mm may be a little short, especially if you wear glasses and keep them on when observing. Basically a fair start to get used to the scope.

The BST's will (should) be better, and they have a 5mm for that bit extra magnification when conditions allow on the planets. BST will likely work better then the plossl's especially if you have the f/5 scope. The BST's also have better eye relief and are reasonably par-focal.

You are really in the position of use the eyepieces you have before upgrading to anything then once you have an idea of the direction you want to go get eyepieces to suit. I would normally tell people to look at an eyepiece improvement almost immediatly, but the Celestrons change that.

The 8mm BST is a very good general purpose eyepiece, and would be a good eyepiece to determine the degree of improvement over the Celestron plossl's.

Nice and motivational Gerry :) i've been interested in astronomy my whole life and i study physics in uni at the min, ive done quite a bit of stargazing before, just never got round to buying my own decent scope. I'm not looking to buy the best eyepiece out there, i just read that the eyepieces with the 200p are mediocre at best, well the 10mm is anyway. it's only £49 for that EP, don't you worry yourself if i stick at it or not :)  is the BST 8mm worth it or not?

No motivation intended or concern that you stick with it.If a person knows his direction in this/any hobby choices can be made initially that can be cost effective.Most everyone likes the BST Ep's I understand.

You won't go far wrong with bst starguiders . Are they worth it ? Absolutely they are , other rebadged eyepieces of the same spec are priced at twice the price .

Celestron x - cel lx are also good eyepieces with good eye relief .

Televue plossls are well regarded and as sharp as anything available , but some find eye relief a problem when using high powers , so you might want to think twice about them if you wear glasses.

Good choice of scope by the way.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. i'm gonna go ahead and order the BST 8mm (while i have the dosh). i will experiment with all the different EP's in that celestron set and figure out which i finds suite me best, i don't wear glasses so thats somewhat of an advantage. will keep yas updated when i get the scope and test er' out and what not :)

Queeg.....Hi, The BST Starguiders are good on my Skyliner.The  majority of BST users speak highly of their purchase. Assuming you have the Skyliner, a good lens to start with is the 8mm, then a 12mm. Get both from 'Alan' at' Skies' on the 'bay'! By buying two lenses, you can test them side by side, and if your not liking one of them, you can return for your money back. I went for the 8mm 1st then the 18mm 2nd.  the 25mm came cheaper at auction, then the 12mm. I may skip the 5mm unless it arrives at auction, and only the 15mm to consider. My new Panaview could be Barlowed, but not from 2" as my Barlow is  only 1.25" so if the 15mm comes via auction, I may have a punt at that too. @ £49 each, great value, good choice.

Edit* Forgot about your 25mm. The supplied 25mm is a Modified kellner lens and is surprisingly good to go, however the BST's offer a wider view. It's the 10mm that you could look at first, to change. I've Barlowed the 10mm to good effect on the Moon, so you wont actually discard the supplied lenses!

Archived