sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressies for me this year, but it's just fabulous being with my family. That's enough for me.  Have a fabulous Christmas day everyone, eat, drink & be merry!!!

Wowsers ! happy Christmas, jumped out of bed grabbed the bins at 6 and outside . Right hand side of Sarin, the wonderful bright and long tail of Comet Lovejoy . That's my Christmas present ! Just have

I have asked Santa for a full set of Green and Black but I fear he may think I want chocolates!

A set of Bob's Knobs and a pair of tube rings for my 200Dob - hope the mount doesn't buckle under the strain! Isn't Santa clever, knowing just what we would like to have?

Merry Christmas to evrryone

wonderful, knowing just what we want?

I was fortunate to find a previously enjoyed ES ED127 for a really great price so I treated myself to an early Christmas present.

I also ordered up a Mallincam Jr. Pro from a local scope store and expect to pick it up the first week of the new year.

It's funny how I always know just the right gift to buy myself... :grin:

Regards and Merry Christmas

Bob

Today, my nephew gave me a Logitec wireless mouse for my laptop. I was goin to buy myself one this week. Im chuffed with it. Best/ most thoughtful gift he has ever given me.

Nice one Paul, always good to get something you really need.

All the best.

• Like 1

Received a pair of Olympus 10x50 DPS I bins and the Philips Stargazing with Binoculars book from my parents.

Clear sky's in Scotland tonight so had a quick look at Jupiter (can see 1 moon I think), just made out the Orion Nebula ( fair amount of light pollution) and I'm pretty sure I finally spotted the Andromeda Galaxy. Had to crane my neck about 90 degrees to see it though!

I had to work Xmas day, so I'm off up to all the family on the 26th who are at my in-laws which will be lovely ; but when I drive back on the 27th I'm calling in at F1 Telescopes in Sittingbourne to collect my present to myself; Celestron SCT 9.25 + EQ6 mount....…........I,m very excited :-)

Mrs Mole gave me a SW 200p-ds, and managed to get a couple of Baader eyepieces and a coma corrector in my Christmas box from work.

Set it all up last night, had good views of Venus, Jupiter and M42. Not that happy with the finderscope, so cannibalised the telrad off my old 150, much better with that on. I suppose its what you are used to rather than any inherent issue with the finder.

I would have stayed out longer and tried to tick off a few interesting doubles, but everything started to get dew on the optics, so looking for some heaters next. Never had a problem like that with the 150 and 1.25" lenses, not sure if it was a weather related issue or are the larger masses of glass more prone to this.

Well someone must have been listening to my constant hints.. Oh I must get one of those , really need one of them etc etc etc,

Found a 12V Canon power adapter and a Modern Astronomy finder guider adapter under the tree. Let the guiding begin..

My wife got me three warm sweaters and a pair of very warm and cozy socks. As for more astro related stuff, I got myself a SW 9x50 RACI finder and a copy of The Calwell Objects and How To Observe Them last weekend, while making a quick stop at a swedish astronomy shop. Just had to plan a stop there on the close to 1400 km drive (back and forth) to pick up our new puppy.

I only got one astro related present this year.

A book : "Constellations. A field guide to the night sky" by Giles Sparrow. From a friend who knows little about the subject it's not a bad choice.

It's got some nice images in it and some well written info on each constellation. It's a very long time since I read that kind of book. They've improved with time.

I'm quite enjoying thumbing through it and re visiting some constellations that are off the beaten track.

I was working last night and on shift handover my colleague was in a rush to get home to start his Christmas as he'd been on shift 7am to 7pm. Apparently he'd got a telescope awaiting un-wrapping. It's a SW 150p or similar! I'm looking forward to helping him get it going in the future months :) 

A 12 month subscription to Astronomy Now from the kids, and a binder to put last year's in from the wife. Oh, and the statutory pack of socks, this year with embedded anti-fungal agent; hmmm, thanks Love...

Well I got my GSO 8" Newt :) It's very big! (esp. compared to 130P which is all I had previously). The focuser is nice, it all looks well made. I have fitted to my HEQ5 pro.

Not had any suitable weather (typical) and I'm going to need more weight to balance it with the ST80 guider. so I've ordered the eq6 weight extension bar.

I hope it works ok. I'll colminate it so it's ready for an outing with the weather permits. I think I'll start by using it visually to learn how it behaves before adding the complexity of the imaging setup.

Also got the Baader MPCC-III, looks nicely made.

Unexpected gifts where some outdoor/thermal clothes and some books, including Patric Moore's yearbook of Astronomy 2014 and a Philips sky atlas.

So should be all set. Looking forward to clear skies, excited to see Jupiter and Orion's nebula visually with the bigger aperture, these will probably be my first easy targets.

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas. 3 Christmas dinner's in a row for us, so I don't think I'll need to eat for a while now. 

Have a good New Year! Let's hope it's a good one for Astronomy...

• Like 1

My fiancee gave me a Celestron Powerseeker 80eq, motor drive, 6 plossl's, 8 color filters, a 3x barlow and a copy of Night Watch. Noon stuff but it suits me well. Hands down best Xmas gift in a long while.