Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C8 XLT or Skymax 150

Right, I know this has probably been asked on a number of occasions but I would like all suggestions all in one place as I used the search box and a far amount came up. Also as the weather is rubbish I'm hoping there is going to be enough people on here to give me some good answers.

I'm in the process of selling everything I can to get some money together to buy a larger SCT/MAK to what I already have (127 Mak)

The mount I have is a CG-5 which I have yet to use so I'm not willing to get rid of it to get something more heavy duty hence the choice of the C8 XLT or the Skymax 150.

Now, the reasons I can't decide between the 2 is because the 150 is only an inch larger diameter than I already, C8 has another 3 inches on the 127 but a shorter focal length than the 150. (if that makes sense)

Now one of the other things that is putting me off the 150 is the cool down period, I live in a flat so I can't leave it outside for a couple of hours then use it. I have the Starsense on order to cut down on setup time so I can get on with viewing pretty much straight away.

Thats enough waffle from me, what do you guys think?

I will be buying secondhand if that makes any difference.

Many thanks,

Clear skies (eventually)

Hi Hobsey, If it were me, i would go for the 8" SCT (if your going to keep the 127 Mak) - more aperture and like you say a better cool down time - a way around the cool down time would be to place the tube assembly on the balcony (that's if you have one) with all the lens caps on, then, when your ready have a quick dash through the flat, keeping the lens caps on, to keep the dewing process off the Lens/mirrors - that should give you an hour or two on the balcony for cool down time.

Moving up from the 127 to the 150 isn't going to give you a "wow" factor - so if you can, keep the 127 (I love mine on the cg5) for a grab and go - the C8 will be a nice addition to your set up and you'll have hours of fun with it, second hand would be fine, as you tend to find the astro gear is well looked after and easy enough if the optics just need a clean if your really picky, but if not, away you go.

I think the main difference is going to be the central obstruction the secondary mirror covers, the 127 Mak is a really good scope and, optically, I think the planetary/lunar views more than make up for the near 5" aperture, your not going to see a really big difference in the 8", but it will give you a brighter image and maybe a slight increase in the mag you use - but only just as both scopes have long focal lengths - all the best Anthony, keep us informed and seasons greetings to all on here.   Paul.

Thanks Paul, that is a very informative reply.

I should have said I would be selling the 127 Mak on the goto mount to help fund the new OTA as I can't quite get enough together. But I may buy a 127 OTA later on down the line if one comes up cheap enough.

Even though i have the pleasure of owning the 150 mak, i think in your situation i would go for the c8, mainly down to cool down, but the c8 will be a better alrounder than a mak, it might not quite have the contrast of the mak, but wont be far behind

Thanks for the input Jules, I think this is pretty much what I have decided on.

After Paul saying the C8 would make a good companion to the 127, I told the other half I may now be keeping the 127 and selling the GOTO mount and she didn't look too happy about that idea.

Cheers again for the replies guys.

I'd go for the 8" SCT if you really want to see more for your investment. It will sit very nicely on your CG5 (I have one) and use it for refractors up to 6" aperture F8 with no problems for visual observing. For imaging, you can upgrade the CG-5 with an ADM puck and saddle (see here   ) and it really does work well.

The guys are right I think, the Skymax 150 won't be a "wow" over the 127, whereas the SCT should give that extra "fix" on some objects at least, eg M13, M42 etc.

Good luck, whichever way you jump! :laugh:

Dave

For imaging, you can upgrade the CG-5 with an ADM puck and saddle (see here   ) and it really does work well.

Cheers Dave but I think you forgot to include the link in the (see here) as the clicky doesn't work.

All of the above :D

The C8 is a versatile scope, more than 2x the light grasp of your 127 so it'll be more capable of chasing down the fuzzies. It's noticeably larger but only about 1.5kg heavier and well matched to your CG5.

If you're worried about cool down, look out for a Lymax cat cooler. Alternatively, just start the evening looking at targets that use lower magnification as the tube currents don't affect the view so much.

Thanks for all the replies, I was kind of hoping the c8 would get the majority of the votes.

Just need to keep my eyes open for a second hand one to come up. Hopefully it wont be too long with someone upgrading over Christmas.

Just an update,

Someone had contacted me through astrobuysell after I put a wanted post on there and I have a C8 on its way to me.

After observing Saturn for the first time this morning through the 127mak, I'm wetting myself with excitement.

Archived