Narrowband

A Christmas bit of Fun

alan potts

It is the time of year when Father Christmas brings nice things to all good boys and girls.   If you could have any eyepiece which would you go for and why, I would go for a 5mm Pentax XO, if he could find one that is. It is almost as good as any orthoscopic ever made and because it is realistic want.

Alan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of buying a Leica ASPH zoom 17.8-8.9mm and the Baader VIP barlow a couple of months back so I think I'd go for that from Santa. The reports I've read indicate that it competes with the very best (ie: Zeiss ZAO's) and with the barlow covers the 17.9mm to 3.6mm range of focal lengths and delivers a 60 - 80 degree AFoV. If it worked out I could flog all my eyepieces except the 21mm Ethos and the 31mm Nagler.

John,

I am  sure it is a lovely eyepiece but I would think very long and very hard before I sold all my other eyepieces, after all I know you have a superb collection of them, I think you would be sorry, maybe not at first but after a while.

BTW how much is one?

Ala

John,

I am  sure it is a lovely eyepiece but I would think very long and very hard before I sold all my other eyepieces, after all I know you have a superb collection of them, I think you would be sorry, maybe not at first but after a while.

BTW how much is one?

Ala

They cost around 1,000 Euros with the Barlow Alan. If I bought one myself somethings would have to be sold to fund it. If Santa paid for it however, I could take much more time deciding  :smiley:

I would like any eyepiece as long as it comes with a scope too. Currently I've no set up and I'm chomping at the bit to get out observing again.

But if I'm Planning ahead I'd like a 24mm panoptic . Please Santa x

I was thinking of buying a Leica ASPH zoom 17.8-8.9mm and the Baader VIP barlow a couple of months back so I think I'd go for that from Santa. The reports I've read indicate that it competes with the very best (ie: Zeiss ZAO's) and with the barlow covers the 17.9mm to 3.6mm range of focal lengths and delivers a 60 - 80 degree AFoV. If it worked out I could flog all my eyepieces except the 21mm Ethos and the 31mm Nagler.

Is this combination of  T2 threaded 2" adapter with VIP barlow you are thinking about?

post-30887-0-52231800-1387813136_thumb.j

Is this combination of  T2 threaded 2" adapter with VIP barlow you are thinking about?

attachicon.gifLeica_ASPH_Baader_VIP_Barlow_Variations.jpg

Yes, thats the one  :smiley:

However, if either Zeiss, Leica or even Tele Vue release a 25mm - 4mm zoom which a constant 70 degree FoV and > 15mm eye relief plus ortho sharpness, contrast and light transmission across the range and out to the field stop at F/4 between now and Christmas morning then I'll settle for that instead :grin:

Well John

It is a good thing Santa is a myth because where is he going to get one of those.

I see from Yongs picture you can fine tune it, very nice. I guess that is another 300 euros for the various bits

The Leica zoom with Barlow is another one of those long combos, you seem to like them, I remember the picture you posted of an Ethos in a Powermate.

I may see how much one costs here, Maybe Dani will be kind to me and let me have it at cost to him, he is a Leica dealer as well as Meade, I don't think he has ever had to order any though.

Alan

Yes, thats the one  :smiley:

However, if either Zeiss, Leica or even Tele Vue release a 25mm - 4mm zoom which a constant 70 degree FoV and > 15mm eye relief plus ortho sharpness, contrast and light transmission across the range and out to the field stop at F/4 between now and Christmas morning then I'll settle for that instead :grin:

That would be some zoom eyepiece. Expect to pay :0) Assume TV makes one, (8mm + 10mm + 12mm + 14mm + ...) * price of one Delos, take away a bit since it all goes in one case, count only one coating for the one eyepiece.

Turns the handle on side of desk and prints out receipt

£ 1399

Bargain :D

If it is of Delos quality it is still cheap, instead of buying a whole Delos set.

I see from Yongs picture you can fine tune it, very nice. I guess that is another 300 euros for the various bits

Alan

I think that's the beauty of the VIP barlow, you have all the necessary parts to build up these 1.5x to 2.5x mag. no extra stuffs.

That would be some zoom eyepiece. Expect to pay :0) Assume TV makes one, (8mm + 10mm + 12mm + 14mm + ...) * price of one Delos, take away a bit since it all goes in one case, count only one coating for the one eyepiece.

Turns the handle on side of desk and prints out receipt

£ 1399

Bargain :D

If it is of Delos quality it is still cheap, instead of buying a whole Delos set.

I think the whole set of Delos's in a case will look the part. However you could always take Gordon Ramsay's take on food less is more.

Alan

Nice choice Bill, I have never been lucky enough to even see the likes of the Supermonocentric range or the Zeiss ZAO ll, I had my hands on a Zeiss zoom which was sent to us by mistake when my wife sold Zeiss riflescopes and the like, she wouldn't let me bring it home though.

A merry Christmas to all of you over in America.

Alan.

I have asked Santa for a 5mm Pentax XW and new—larger—case to put everything in. With that, I think I am all set with regards eyepieces (famous last words ;))

If I could be greedy and ask for more, I wouldn't mind upgrading my 2.5x TV Barlow to the Powermate equivalent. Apart from that and swapping my 1.25" Astronomik UHC and SkyWatcher OIII filters for 2" Astronomik versions I think I'm about done.

Still laughing Barry!lol!good one .... :grin:

Cheers Jetstream

Not sure what amused you, my loss of innocence, or my in-depth knowledge of oriental business practices.

Happy Christmas to all you guys/gals. My Christmas present came this year when a couple of days ago an 11mm Nagler cane up on ABS and I actually got it first. Justifies the continuous browsing on ABS.

Hope 2014 surpasses 2013 for observing nights!!!

Clear skies Jetstream and all other SGLers

Barry

Archived