Narrowband

AZ-4 first impressions and questions for owners!

Planetesimal

Post below re-jigged from buried in a previous thread...

I've bought a new AZ4 (with the steel legs) from FLO, which arrived within 2 days of placing the order (impressive service given the time of year!).

I haven't had a chance to use it yet given the state of the weather over the last few days, but I did set it up with the TAL on board to check everything is in place and working properly...

So far so good - I'm really pleased that the steel legs look so sturdy compared to the EQ3-2's aluminium square-style legs. With the caveat that I've not used it yet, here are my initial observations and questions:

- it seems like the design of the mount has an inherent level of backlash built in to the azimuth movement, as the north pin on the tripod that locks into the mount is smaller than the slot it goes into, which means when you reverse direction of panning there's a slip of a few degrees. It's probably not significant since it's only for observing but it would be good to know if this is definitely something that is inherent or if there's anything I can do to firm this up...?

- when loosened up, the vertical axis balance tends to tip towards the EP end with the Telrad, 9x50 RACI and BST plus diagonal attached, even with the scope pushed as far as possible forward along the tube rings, but I don't think this will really be an issue when everything's tightened up.

All in all, I'm excited to try out the AZ-4 / TAL combo under the stars (although it's currently wrapped up and shoved under the tree until the Big Ho Ho Ho! ).

I have an AZ-4 which I use with my Vixen ED 102 refractor which is F/6.5. I have the tube of the scope as far forward as the tube rings will allow because I use heavy eyepieces in a 2" diagonal. You can fit an over-size dovetail bar to the rings which gives you more flexibility in the mounting position. 

I don't have any backlash at all with mine on either axis so that needs looking into. Something might need to be tightened. There should be no movement at all of the mount around the north pin. 

I do detect a little backlash on the north pole pin, and i get a little on the horizontal (up down) axis, but it really does not bother me, though i keep meaning to try it on the CG 2" tripod, even though i get a little "movement" i still manage to do a little Luna imaging with this mount and mainly my Tal100 and even my 150 mak, hope this helps

From a quick search of reviews some say a little backlash around the north pin is inherent to the design, which was my own first impression, but others say there's no backlash at all... I think I'll wait 'til I've had the chance to use it, to see if it bothers me or not!

Good idea about using a longer dovetail plate John, that should solve the balancing issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After some sound advice from Jules, I use the AZ4 steel leg for purely visual work and as can be seen in the picture below, with a 4.5kg, 4" f/10, plus 9x50 finder, Telrad and weighty EPs, no longer use Hyperions but Delos is very much the same weight, the AZ4 works fine, even at around 200x.

post-21324-0-50094100-1347491453_thumb.j

With that said, one does need a little practice getting the balance and tension just right to one's own 'strength of tug' disposition, that is, when moving the two axis (horizontal and vertical) so that the planets or dsos don't leap out of view.

Another thing I have found is that sometimes when using heavier eyepieces, I move the axis towards the zenith and it'll dip/slip a degree or two but again, this seems to be down to me not getting the tension exactly spot on. With lighter eyepieces like Orthos, Plossls, Panoptics, etc there really is no such issue.

To be honest, I still haven't found I can move the scope in those tiny increments necessary for measuring tight double stars or the given size of a small solar spot, for example, but that doesn't mean others couldn't do this. I use an equatorial mount for this work but just look at Jules; he's taking some gorgeous lunar shots with his own AZ4! 

When it comes to actually moving the OTA itself, panning about the sky, following Jupiter, the Sun or Moon craters, I prefer to do it with my hand resting on the tube and gently push it left/right, up/down rather than relying upon the panning arm.

The second picture is to give you an idea of the actual length of the dovetail plate; from OTA ring to ring using the whole length. I don't have a picture but I will gladly supply one if needed.

post-21324-0-33178800-1380111210_thumb.j

What the AZ4 excels at is its ease of set up, its weight, its ability to simply pan the sky, locate an object and observe it. There's a break in the clouds, you've got a few minutes, and rather than playing around with your EQ system, putting on the weight, balancing the scope, for example, the AZ4 is rapidly set up and you're observing in minutes. It makes for a perfect rapid planet, moon and solar observing mount and for this reason, I really think it is an outstanding portable grab and go mount.

Look forward to hearing about your own experience but give yourself time.

You appear to live in a place where you can see the sky.

I am well and truly sick of this this damp, cold little island.

I really should've moved South years ago.

Thanks for the report on the mount, I'll pick one up for solar......it may get used a couple of times a year.

I haven't tried a long refractor on the AZ-4 yet (yet to try my Vixen 80M on it), but am sure it will be up to the job (I do know I have to flip the tube over to reach anything more than 50 degrees otherwise the tube hits the mount and tripod). Just make sure that you are balanced - a long dovetail (as John mentions) should help :)

Archived