Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

namreg

EQ5, AstroEQ and EQMOD

Hi guys

Anyone out there got an EQ5, AstroEQ and EQMOD and successfully guiding? The EQ5 is important here (not an HEQ5 or higher), because you'll have the dual axis motor kit and be ASCOM pulse guiding and not ST4 guiding. If so, it would be good to exchange notes so that I can hopefully get mine going. Might save me an awful lot of time experimenting and ultimately failing! :)

Thanks

Cheers Oily. I'm already in touch with Mark, but he doesn't seem to be having the same issues that I'm having :(

I'll post this question on the above thread and get this one deleted :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Brownthunder93
      Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement counterweight bar/shaft for my EQ5 mount? 
    • By Astrid
      My 200P just arrived and oh my God... I have been trying to wrap my head around the mount for 4 hours.
      The manual didn't really help so I decided to go on youtube, but again, I didn't find any good and detailed videos so I decided to ask here if there is any video or perhaps blog post that might help me set up the mount. 
      Thank you very much! 
      *by the way, is the EQ5 supposed to have slow motion cables? I only got 2 knobs (not cables) and I'm not sure if there is something missing or not... sorry, this is the first time I've used a serious equatorial mount or telescope. 
      Thank you very much!
    • By SteveBz
      Hi People,
      I have quite severe backlash, such that guiding assistant just gives up.  It seems to be about 11 secs in total, the one time GA came back with anything, but it's about 3-4 secs if I measure it by hand.  Here's some guiding.  Actually, it's worse when I'm dithering.

So, I tried measuring the backlash with by counting and it's about 3-4 secs.  If I used PHD2 guiding assistant, mostly it fails, or it comes back with a very big number, like 11,350 msecs.
      I tried entering this:

But then I got a see-saw mechanism, even when I dropped 8,000 to 3,000 it was the same.
      I've taken the motor off just now and looked at the grub/hex-screw mechanisms.  One hex-screw was loose, so I tightened it to hand tight and let the grub-screw off an eighth of a turn.  I'll look again this evening.
      I ran a three hour sequence of exposures on NGC6888 (with dither) and this is what I got on EVERY image.  Amazingly, they stacked nicely.

So last night I ran without dither and it was mostly OK.  What I want is full dither, but to do that I need to deal with the backlash.
      Here's a photo of the motor and gears, most of the backlash seems to come from the top gear (ie the 12-tooth gear and its neighbour).  I guess the rest comes from the worm-gear:

Does anyone have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be a belt-mod for the EQ5 as far as I can see.  Maybe there are better Dec backlash compensation settings I could use.
      Thanks,
      Steve.
    • By Rogr18
      Hi, 
      Sorry if this has already been asked ( I think it would have been, there are posts similar but can't see the the answer I'm looking for) 
      I have a celestron C8-N scope that came with a Cg5 mount,  it's at least 10 years old and although it had a lot of use to start with it's been gathering dust the last few years. 
      So I would like to fit a motorised goto mount to it and was considering a synscan  pro3 for an Eq5 mount. 
      Can someone tell me are these 2 mounts the same and if so will the synscan be OK for my Cg5 mount. 
      If not are there any others I should look at? 
      Thanks
    • By SteveBz
      Hi Guys,
      Wim has wisely persuaded me to go for an eqdir cable from my RPi to my SynScan controller. I currently have a usb:db9 + db9:st4 setup to the SynScan handset (ie 3 cables connected). Can I just change the db9 to st4 to a db9:Rj45 or similar? Eg:
       https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201608325158
      Plus an old ethernet cable? Ie does the pinout of an ethernet cable correspond to the pinout of the SynScan controller handset socket?
      Regards
      Steve.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.