SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion nebula!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Sam, glad you got a good view of it. I was doing the same last night :-)

I'm purely a visual astronomer so I guess I would say this, but I would probably stick to just viewing things for a while, or imaging bright things like the moon where you can use short exposures. The dark side (long exposure astro photography) is a complex, expensive and time consuming pastime!! :-)

Stu

I've kind of realised that for dso imaging I've got alot of money to spend. so its going to be a while before I decide to carry on that route. the moon however is big enough and bright enough for me to have a go (I hope). I also need to learn to find different objects as well and get competent in that really. luckily I get a nice view of orion, jupiter and the moon from my front yard, unluckily theres a pain of a street light a few meters away :s

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Great stuff Sam, well done, pleased you managed a good view.

Onwards and upwards!!! good luck.

Thanks mate! im going to look at finding easy targets around casseiopia and orion, hopefully there'll be a few which come in and amaze me :)

I'm still in my first year also and M42 is the winter gem for sure, Pleaides is also a beauty under low magnification and super easy to spot without visual aid, she shines like diamonds. Glad you love this hobby Sam, it sure gets the mind wondering what else is out there to explore.

Was out for about an hour and a half tonight and most of it was spent on M42. Started off by viewing it through my 10x50 bins. I could clearly make it out eve with the LP of the HUGE street light about 50 feet away.

After the SLT cooled down I viewed it for a while with a 25mm at 26x and then with a 9mm at 72x. 

After viewing a couple other targets I came back and used the 9mm with a 2x barlow. The trapezium stuck out like a sore thumb! Best views of 42 yet!

The way it was always described to me was 'in the middle of the  three belt stars'... forever looking at the belt with years of no luck... never the 'sword' DOH.  No wonder it was illusive. Everything seems so much easier with you guys! Can't wait for a clear sky!

:laugh:

where is the double cluster? I need to find everything on maps in relation to orion. as orion is the only constellation I know at the moment, im still trying to work my way around that! its all gravy though. totally beats a night in with the missus! haha

For me, astronomy has always been about wandering around the universe and exploring it without a plan or even a star chart. I get so much enjoyment when i am out there pointing/slewing my scopes or bins aimlessly and discovering things at leisure. 

The universe is not going anywhere any time soon and with a bit of luck,neither am i................so i dont need to see it all in one night (so to speak) by planning several objects etc to view.

It's just my approach to astronomy. Its a lifestyle to me rather then a hobby as its something ive been into since i was about 5-6 yrs old.

where is the double cluster? I need to find everything on maps in relation to orion. as orion is the only constellation I know at the moment, im still trying to work my way around that! its all gravy though. totally beats a night in with the missus! haha

Try to find Cassiopeia, the W which is quite high up in the North West. The Double Cluster is to the left of the top end, heading towards Perseus. Have a scan around there and you should find it. There are loads of open clusters in Cassiopeia so it is well worth having a sweep around the whole area. As LukeSW says, it is a nice relaxing way to observe.

Posted Image

Cheers,

Stu

Double cluster, it's very near the constellation Cassiopeia - very easy to find first in binoculars, if you have some you should find it in no time and you'll see both in a single view.

I've just been out with my new GSO 8" and looked at it, it looked fantastic, as did M42 and M31. Jupiter's stripes easy to see, 4 clear moons but no Red spot right now though (typical, it's never out when I look!)

Have fun.

The GRS has just crept onto Jupiters disk - looking quite strikingly salmon pink !  :smiley:

We can't call it the Great Pink Spot though, as the acronym GPS is already in use elsewhere....! Very clear last night, with good seeing though and a good night to sample some of the delights mentioned in the above posts for the first time.

Chris

excellent. As for stars in the nebula, well find the row of 3 in a line, find the trapezium at the end and you should be able to make out 6 stars, 4 bright ones making the trap shape and 2 dimmer ones also. Have fun!

I pointed my new scope at M42 the other night, was amazed at what nebulosity could be seen visually. Up until then I'd only ever seen so much after capturing a long exposure image. Possibly even further enhanced with filters, anybody?

was looking at M42 last night and I think I was looking at the trapezium I saw some gas on the outer edges but couldn't get much else from it. What magnification is best. I have 10mm 4mm 25mm and 40mm lenses. And I was using my 114 LCM scope 

Thanks

Astroman 

I find despite its brightness the Orion Nebula really responds to averted vision. In binoculars or a small scope it practically vanishes if I look straight at it.

As for magnification, well I was using 30x in a 3 inch scope. With a 4 1/2 inch scope you might try a bit more.

Archived