SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Space

FeynGuy

'The Cosmos is a magnet… Once you've been there, all you can think of is how to get back.'— Yuri Romanenko

I believe as i assume many on here that the future of our species lies within space exploration. Could we allow the perils before us to render species extinct? Whether it be the near earth asteroids, or our own self destructive nature. Will we enter the realm of the extinct species or will become the space wandering nomad species we should be? I hope for the latter.

What does everyone here believe our future ought to be or will be?

Guy 

I don't believe we'll ever manage the distances to get to planets similar to our own where water. , oxygen levels, gravity forces are similar.

It's wishful thinking in my opinion.

When the sun dies , we die, that's if we're not already extinct .

( blimey that's a nice post for a Sunday morning read ! Sorry )

We are just a blip on a radar, insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The distances and time involved are so great, much greater than our false belief that we are somehow able to conquer the universe...we haven't even explored our own planet and yet we are eager to leave it behind looking for that one in a quadrillion chance that a celestial body could sustain us...planet Earth is the best we will ever get...it is the perfect environment for creating life and we are doing our very best to mess it up.

It is nice to dream of life out there but we will all be extinct before we discover it, or it discovers us.

I think humans are too short sighted and stupid as a whole to conquer space.  We'll all be extinct way before we get the chance to migrate to another world.  Far too much infighting to be able to work together as a species, which is what would be needed in order for this to become a reality.

Here's hoping that whatever comes along to replace us has better luck!

I don't think we were 'meant to be star wandering nomads'... we have evolved perfectly to suit living on planet Earth.

The big supposition in the question being that something or somebody designed us with a purpose.

Controversial!

Discuss!!

.....The big supposition in the question being that something or somebody designed us with a purpose.

Controversial!

Discuss!!

Perhaps best not too. It's going to lead towards a discussion area which is one of the few we don't allow on the forum. 

Thanks  :smiley:

I don't think we were 'meant to be star wandering nomads'... we have evolved perfectly to suit living on planet Earth.

The big supposition in the question being that something or somebody designed us with a purpose.

Controversial!

Discuss!!

'become the space wandering nomad species we should be?'* By 'should' i am referring to my own inherent bias towards the said premise, definitely not a purpose created by an omnipotent being. I do agree to the fact that we have evolved very well to our little blue marble, but we are a technologically adaptive species. With populations rising so quickly, the destruction of so many eco-systems  and man made climate change. whats our next move as a species? We could try cleaning our act up but realistically is this going to happen in a short enough time frame?

Archived