SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and moons with a superzoom bridge camera

rjc404

I gotta admit it wasn't a handheld shot. I did mount it on the adapter on my telescope rings on my EQ3-2 otherwise it would have been a bit shaky. I think it was at 35x optical zoom and 3x digital. I'll have to boot up CHDISK when I have another go to see if I can tweak the data or get a better result from raw. Way better than I expected though for a bridge camera!

Very nice shot of Jupiter moons!

I used to get similar results with my old bridge camera Fuji S2000HD, it had a 15X zoom (equal to a 400mm) and it only allowed 4 seconds of exposure, but it was enough to capture a hint of the orion nebula! It was also capable to show nice craters on the moon ;)

People go out and make experiments with your cameras, you'll be surprised by what you can photograph with them! :)

I would never have thought of using my bridge camera for AP - I'll have to have a go.

I did try my infrared camera piggy backed onto my scope last night and captured the Moon, but it was very small. I'll have to think about how to get around that as I would really like to try IR photography on some objects.

Archived