SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ8 Tripod Woes

Stephen

He he, yes, Thanet does have a distinctive orange glow, although my spot in bungalow land at Palm Bay isn't too bad.  A part-night lighting scheme is being rolled out across Kent in 2014 though, so I'm hopeful that will make a difference.

I remember that glow from all my years in Sandwich, al lot of the time I never bothered with that part of the sky.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stephen,

I asked the question before because looking at the pic on the first page of the manual is shows the bracket placed in opposite directions on leg and pillar. And I take it this should repeat all the way round

backet1.jpg

Well if you are worried about warranty , and considering you've just forked out over £3200.00 perhaps you might be advised to talk to your supplier regarding the 'problem' .

That would be my first port of call if I had a query with something that new and expensive ...  :smiley:

Hi Stephen,

I asked the question before because looking at the pic on the first page of the manual is shows the bracket placed in opposite directions on leg and pillar. And I take it this should repeat all the way round

backet1.jpg

I am in the process of recreating this setup - pier brackets have all been rotated, I'm just rotating the legs now ...

Well if you are worried about warranty , and considering you've just forked out over £3200.00 perhaps you might be advised to talk to your supplier regarding the 'problem' .

That would be my first port of call if I had a query with something that new and expensive ...  :smiley:

I am already engaged with them and they're being most helpful :)

We wait with baited breath!!

Looks like the manual was right all along then , having the brackets attached incorrectly in the factory was a much more realistic scenario than incorrectly drilled parts ... glad you seem to be sorted ...  :smiley:

Well another theory shot down :(

I have recreated the manual - that is to say I have taken all the leg brackets and all the pier brackets and flipped them 180 degrees.

As before, two legs line up perfectly and can be attached with their nut/bolts

The North leg truss is still projecting inwards at an angle off perpendicular - it does not meet the pier truss :(

At this point it's too late to do any more so I'm parking it until tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

When you get up in the morning, I have one more idea. If you look at the pic below (taken from yours)  If you flip this bracket the truss will be on the opposite side of the bracket. Take off the truss and reattach so it is on the side it is on in the photo?

backet2.jpg

When you get up in the morning, I have one more idea. If you look at the pic below (taken from yours)  If you flip this bracket the truss will be on the opposite side of the bracket. Take off the truss and reattach so it is on the side it is on in the photo?

backet2.jpg

That was my suggestion, too, but Stephen doesn't want to touch the truss screw without talking to FLO first as it's filled with sealant.

I have just looked at the maual photo again and they should be on the sam side...re post above. And in your last post image they are not.

If I follow you correctly you mean the leg truss should be on the same side of the pier truss for each leg?

Yes I agree - however if I do that, the North leg problem becomes even worse, the leg truss describes an angle through the pier truss

Photo attached (both south side legs now have their leg truss on the right hand side of the pier truss looking into the pier from the leg.)

That was my suggestion, too, but Stephen doesn't want to touch the truss screw without talking to FLO first as it's filled with sealant.

Is it sealant or grease?  It is the only moving part so it may just be a lubricant?  We will I suspect find out once FLO have spoken.   I can't bare it...I need to know now and It is not even my mount!!

4utuqe2y.jpg

If (and if I see the photo right) they are not just spaced but at an angle to each other, this may suggest that the holes that attach the leg to the mount and the holes on the leg that the bracket are attached are not in the correct positions?

If (and if I see the photo right) they are not just spaced but at an angle to each other, this may suggest that the holes that attach the leg to the mount and the holes on the leg that the bracket are attached are not in the correct positions?

In the new configuration (all brackets reversed from delivery to manual images, all leg trusses on right hand side of pier trusses) .....

Yes you are quite right, they are at an angle to each other - this is where my original fear (I could see the angle offset in the original orientation) that the leg holes are not drilled in the correct place came from :(

The leg itself appears to be in the correct position in relation to the other legs

Sounds like you are right, it is for FLO to sort.

Yup indeed - I had already got in touch with them before starting this thread and they had proposed much the same as this thread, to try changing things around.

Just had a call from Steve and he's going to get a new one dispatched out to me from OVL (pending stock availability) :wub:

Can't ask for more really :) Might not be such a grim Xmas after all! :D

Archived