Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 150 and 180 PRO now have SCT threads

FLO

A separate focuser won't affect the telescope's resolution or acutence but it will make it easier to achieve precise focus. A separate focuser will also overcome the small amount of image movement seen when you change focus direction (the built-in focuser moves the mirror up/down the tube). A number of customers (usually imagers) have fitted a separate focuser but I suggest you try it without first :smiley:

Very much agree with this.  Imaging at a focal length of five metres or more means a tiny amount of movement of the mirror can take the target right off the camera sensor.  At the more relaxed focal lengths used for visual it's entirely possible it wouldn't even be noticed, lost in the "wobble" caused by touching the scope to operate the focuser, or just too small a movement to be noticeable at all.

James

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For visual I only ever use the standard mirror shifting focuser on my 180 mak, its functional and when you get used to its little foibles is fine. However I do have a Crayford  with motor drive which I use only when imaging purely for the remote, no touch or wobble focusing aspect.

As Steve says if your not imaging and doing just visual then give the normal focuser a try first, a lot of folks rush out and buy a Crayford SCT focuser for the back end when its not really necessary. The focus mirror shift on these Maks isn't too bad in my experience doing visual, certainly with my 180 and old 127. In fact I used to use my 127 as a superb F12 guide scope with a Mintron as a guide cam.    

" so are an excellent choice for lunar and planetary observing and imaging. They are also desirable qualities when splitting binary stars" 

Hi

Looks like the real deal !!

Will order when you re-open in the new year

Many thanks

I'm really tempted by a 180 as well, I think this scope combined with my "spare" Equinox 80 that I now have thanks to the arrival of the fabulous Esprit 80 would go well on my Sky Tee II. I even have a spare SCT Crayford focuser that could bed fitted to it as well

The Skymax for the moon, planets and other high mag stuff and the Equinox for the nice wide views.

Weight wise (8 kgs) the Sky Tee II should cope for visual shouldn't it?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

WARNING : Its still pot luck if you get the new model with the SCT thread, I ordered mine on the 07/02/14 and got an old model that needs the adaptor.

I know this is not FLO fault, but maybe when they place an order they can demand a new model with the SCT thread?

Unfortunately Matthew is right. And what makes it particularly interesting is it was dispatched direct from Skywatcher's UK importer's warehouse so it appears there are still some Skymax-180 telescopes, pre-SCT fitting, in the system. 

Changes to specification and design are not unusual and we delayed mentioning the change for at least a year to give the pre-change models time to sell through. In theory that should have been plenty of time.

Matthew, if you purchase a thread adapter from Wayne Weedon over at FDOS engineering we will cover the cost :smiley: 

We will also start checking every Skymax-180 PRO telescope prior to dispatch. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Unfortunately Matthew is right. And what makes it particularly interesting is it was dispatched direct from Skywatcher's UK importer's warehouse so it appears there are still some Skymax-180 telescopes, pre-SCT fitting, in the system.

Changes to specification and design are not unusual and we delayed mentioning the change for at least a year to give the pre-change models time to sell through. In theory that should have been plenty of time.

Matthew, if you purchase a thread adapter from Wayne Weedon over at FDOS engineering we will cover the cost :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

I have also edited our original post and added an update.

Quality response from FLO as usual, thumbs up!

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks for your kind offer :grin:

Spoken to Wayne and out of stock and production should start in two weeks :eek:

Archived