Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Paulo83

Best Astronomy Books For A Beginner?

And...yet another vote for Turn Left! I've only had it for a few hours & already it's my goto (see what i did there? LOL)

It's an M object all on its own. 

As in Must have.

:D

Hmmm

Seems none of the recommendations (other than Norton's Star atlas) will teach you about astronomy.  The others will help you find objects, but understanding the basics of telescopes, stars and galaxies - the how and what is something else.

Dinah Moshe's book:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0471265187

See also:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/156354-best-astronomy-books/

• Like 1

I can recomended turn left at orian for a book but I used Google sky map on my phone for the last 6 months. I think it's a great way to lern the night skys and it's free.

Any books by phillips ,turn left at orion is ok but it assumes you no a lot to start with let's see why let's asume you go out side now do you now were sagita is ? If no let's take a look at the dso's around sagita from TLAO see below

Now can you see the constellation ? Do you no what part of the sky it's in ? I think once you have a knowledge of the sky yes it brill and I love it but every one said to me get this "must have book " wow when it arrived I still brought other books and apps to help me there's better starter books but this one is handy once you no where the constellation is ect (sorry they the wrong way round )

Pat

post-9980-0-02858000-1404561691_thumb.jp

post-9980-0-13396200-1404561715_thumb.jp

Edited by todd8137
  • Like 1

My first books were Nightwatch by Terence Dickinson or Turn Left at Orion by Consolmagno and Davis.  They will but you on a good footing to progress - but it all depends on how much knowledge you have on the subject already.

S.